Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear D44 idea

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Rear D44 idea Reply with quote

I have no idea if this will work but thought I would toss it out to everybody.

What about using a TJ or XJ D44 in a ZJ but taking the disc and antilock set up from a GC with a ALD44? Any thoughts on this or will it not work?
90 K5, tbi350/th400/241/SYE/3" Tuff Country/D60 Powerlock/14ff Detroit/4:10's/Crossover Steering/Hydro Assist/37" MTR's

87 Burb, tbi454. Drinks gas and hauls ass.

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe disk should work and since the ABS sensor is in the disk setup that should work as well.. If you use an XJ 44 you will have to either cut all your perches and such off or get a set from Mountain Offroad .. http://mountainoffroad.com/ TJ set will work.. But cutting your own off and rewelding them is much much cheaper.... Mr. Green

TJ axle will work I think .. (NO experience with this..)

BUt either way the brake stuff will work on all c-clip 44's ... It will not work on Waggy 44's however...

Good luck...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just tossing around ideas at this point. I plan to look in to it a little deeper and see what I can dig up. I believe my 97 has a D35 under it now so I'm not sure what will be cheaper, 8.8 or the D44. I should be able to find a ALD44 cheap enough with a cracked housing and there are tons of XJ and TJ's in junkyards around here. I have not heard of it being done so.......
90 K5, tbi350/th400/241/SYE/3" Tuff Country/D60 Powerlock/14ff Detroit/4:10's/Crossover Steering/Hydro Assist/37" MTR's

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJ 44 is a common mod but in my opinion the 8.8 is better... Becasue you can get one with disk brakes and there are a million of them in the boneyard.. No hard looking... Very Happy Not only that but 3:73 is very common with Explorers and 4:11 is pretty easy to find as well...

The easiest way to tell what axle you have is with a magnet.. Mr. Green
But the 44 is sort of shaped like a stop sign and the 35 is round...

Do you know what gear ratio you are looking for??
DO you know a welder or is there a welding shop near you that wont screw you over??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
XJ 44 is a common mod but in my opinion the 8.8 is better... Becasue you can get one with disk brakes and there are a million of them in the boneyard.. No hard looking... Very Happy Not only that but 3:73 is very common with Explorers and 4:11 is pretty easy to find as well...

The easiest way to tell what axle you have is with a magnet.. Mr. Green
But the 44 is sort of shaped like a stop sign and the 35 is round...

Do you know what gear ratio you are looking for??
DO you know a welder or is there a welding shop near you that wont screw you over??

Do I know a welder????????? Yep, Me! I do most of my own fab work. I do it for a living. Mr. Green

I know how to check the rear, just need take the time to look under it. I'm hoping to find 3:73's in the ZJ and if they are that's fine but most likely I will have to do a front gear swap unless I find an XJ with 3:73's. Can you get an ARB for an 8.8?

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJ's with 3:73's are not that hard to find.. (3:55 is more common though) But I found an HP30 in an XJ with 3:73's.. That could be another consideration...

Taking the HP30 from an XJ as well as the 44 ...Just a thought...

Since you are a welder you will be set.. I can give you lots of links on setting up axles and building spring perches and such.. Just let me know..
And In that case I would suggest the 8.8 rear and hp30 front ..
The next step up from there would be 60's front and rear.. Mr. Green

Here you go...From ARB website..
RD15 Ford 8.8 31 Spline $729.95

Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already planning the XJ front like you suggested in another post. Cool I could not find a 31 spline ARB, just the 28 so at least I know there out there. Most likely I will go the 8.8 route but it depends on what I find when I start hunting axles. If mine does have a ALD44 I will deffinately go with the D44 swap. Is there any wms to wms differense in the D44's or the 8.8? If you have any fab links post them up. I like checking out what others have done, keeps the creative juices flowing. Twisted Evil I do have a pretty good assortment of fab tools at home and my next big purchace is a plasma next year.

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best write up I have found...
http://mallcrawlin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=145

The difference is 5/8" on each side... Not enough to matter..
Mr. Green

Carl

Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some good news, as long as the brakes work properly even with an ABS problem, it can not fail state inspection. So it looks like a HPD30 and 8.8 will be an easy swap. Twisted Evil Yes I am planning to ditch the ABS crap.

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet... The ABS is easy to toss.. Main thing is pull the Relay and abs fuse under the hood to get the stupid light to go off on the dash... Very Happy

Post pics..

Carl

JeepZJMFstud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picked up a D-44 out of an 87' XJ... looks some what easy. so re-set up was thinking about cheating and cutting the tube around my stock c clip 35 and putting it ontop of the tube on my new 44... the most annoying thing about it is that its a 3.63... Superior axle is offering a rebuild kit + 30 spline alloy shafts and a detroit or a ARB for like 999.00. My hold up on that is there is a lot of TJ rubicon rear 44's on ebay for like 300 bucks. Yea they are wider springs but its just kicking me. So for now the XJ's 44 is sitting in my garage. Im in not too much of a hurry to swap it out other than the stock part of my trac bar snapped off my axle and is threating me again.

Just lost... oh and by the way how much would that D44 go for?

Oh yea I did my research..

Brakes-
http://www.tsmmfg.com/2562_44.htm

On my 93 ZJ with rear drums just have to add a porportioning valve. Grrr work is work I tell yea.

Believe me im in for imput, make my life easier!!!!!!!![/url]
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.. ZJ brakes will swap onto any TJ or XJ 44 with a rubicon axle adapter..

Not sure if cutting the 35 axle tube will work because it is smaller diameter than the 44 tube but if you only cut the bracket off that should be fine..

Might be easier to just wash off the brackets since you are going to use a torch anyway...

YOu could also pick up one of those TJ 44's and wash off the big spring perches and put the ZJ perches in their place .. All the other stuff will be in the right place already. That will save you lots of time..

Good luck..

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: