Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

249->242 Swap COMPLETED! -Several Questions, Pics Includ

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaineZJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the VC doesn't leak and won't explode (well maybe it will if you try to weld it without draining it first)
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull your center trim piece off and look behind your VIC there should be two wires.. Unplug the two that are plugged up and plug in the other two.. That should fix your VIC..

I think they are red and black.. IF the 2 reds are plugged unplug them and plug the blacks together.. Or whatever... That is supposed to be the way it works...

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JackRatchett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy old thread Batman....

Anyone know how to check if a viscous coupling is good or not once it's out of the transfer case?
It involves locking one end and adapting the other end to use a torque wrench on then measuring the torque, time and angle it moves but I don't know the numbers.

Great swap thread swamp boy. Brad S, I'll be tryin guts of the 242 into the 249 soon.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm... Nope I dont know how to test that....

MIght try calling Jeep they might have some answers...But most likely they will tell you that they dont test them they just toss them...rofl

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cajzmere

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is bringing back an old subjuct ...... when I put my speedo sending unit back in , I had to "index" it. Count the number of teeth on the gear then make sure the numbers on the speedo assembly that match the number of teeth are in a 6 o'clock relative to the housing. It's kind of cam oriented to line up. Mine is dead on perfect after doing above!
JackRatchett

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to put the Selectrac into the Quadra-drive. When it comes to fluid, would it be okay to still run Quadra-drive fluid instead of the trans fluid?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITs all the same... IT will be fine...

Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: 249<242 or 231 Reply with quote

I just want to comment on the original post in case anyone runs into this problem. I recently swapped the 249 in my 94 ZJ for a 231 from a 88 XJ. I ran into the same problem with the "extra lip". All you have to do is swap the input bearing along with the input gear. It will come right out with a little tap. The bearing is half as thick on the 249 as on the 231 or 242. Also the teeth on the 249 were longer, almost sharper looking than the 231. If you come across this it's fine the teeth aren't worn, they are just cut different. It will still work. You'll need to swap the input gear from the 249 out of the planetary housing and use the housing from the 231 or 242. I picked up the 88 XJ in good running condition for $150, so I decided not to waste the 249 tc which works fine. I had to grind the tips off the planetary gears in the 249 housing that were longer, in order to fit the input gear from the 231. After all the swapping my ZJ runs great and I have a complete 249 with the XJ 21 spline shaft to reinstall in my XJ. It might not make sense to use the 249 in my XJ, but I paid pennies for it and will now have a running vehicle in my yard instead of a shitbox. Just need to do something with that shitbox disconnect dana 30. Does anyone know of a way to connect the front end permanately instead of swapping for 30 w/o disconnect? Or is that just crazy? XJ will be woods truck only!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: