Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

249->242 Swap COMPLETED! -Several Questions, Pics Includ

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: 249->242 Swap COMPLETED! -Several Questions, Pics Includ Reply with quote

Ok here are a few questions I have/problems I have run into..
It may be helpful to others as well.

First of all, I pulled both my 249 and my new 242 apart and got the planetary gears and shaft from the 249 to put into the 242...
Here's my problem however, I notice the 249's gears wouldn't slide all the way into the 242's case, so I backed it out and had a look, here's what I found:

As you can see, the 249's shaft has an extra 'lip' on it and will not slide all the way down into the case.

Secondly, I notice the gears on the the 242 were worn down compared to the 249:

Is this normal? or does it mean that the 242 I picked up had been wearing on itself?

Third, I found this 'spacer' on the lower shift fork in the 242..

It appears to have broken since I found shattered pieces in several other spots in the case.. Any ideas of where I could get one/order one?

Carl, I was going to call you, but I figured I would go ahead and show you the pics on here..
If anyone could help I would appreciate it!

Last edited by Brad S on Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is your 249???
My sun gear didnt have that lip on it...

Not a good picture but good enough to tell..

Got me on that one...
as for the plastic thingys..(technical term) I used the ones off the 249 on the 242.. that worked for me..

You got me on the input thing.. I dont know whats going on with that..
Different from anything I have seen... I have done 5 of these now.. (thats not a million but its a decent amount.. ) Maybe contact George at Transfer cases unlimited..

Transfer Cases Unlimited
George Kreppein
Phone: 631-226-1448
Cell # 516-658-1440
Long Island, New York

Anyone else know whats going on here???

I will start looking around..Myself...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's my plan.. (tenative) Wink

I started comparing things between my old 249 and my new 242 (I might have to create a write up myself, just kidding, swampboy's is great!)
anyways, I noticed that they used the same front half of the case for both. So just for kicks since I was stuck anyways, I started taking the 'guts' from my new 242 and putting them back with the 249's gears into the old front half of the case. Everything seems to fit correctly. I then took the back half from my new 242 and placed it on top with the 249half containing my 'guts' and guess what.. it fits perfectly! Mr. Green SO NOW, all I have to do is grab me a 1 1/8 socket and switch the other sides of the gear sets and switch out the shifting mechanism, and presto, in theory I do believe this thing will work!!

If there is anything wrong with my logic, or if you want to tell me i'm one nutcase of an 18yr old, feel free Wink
but at this point, I think I'm open to giving it a shot..
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds plausible.... It just might be crazy enough to work..

Kinda like that guy who said he wanted an inline fuel pump n his grand instead of the stupid in tank one, and everyone told him he could never do it.. But he did it anyway...And 2 years later its working like a charm and others are copying him all the time....

Who was that guy anyway..

OH yeah....... ME... rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of curiosity... where exactly is this viscous coupling that was supposed to be bad?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the secondary shaft of the T case (one that drives the front wheels) .. It will looke like a steele drum on the shaft about 6" round by 4 or 5 thick..

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part in the picture with the number 3 on it...

Note....... The air filter doesnt belong on the end of that shaft ...

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part in the picture with the number 3 on it...

Note....... The air filter doesnt belong on the end of that shaft ...

Crap ... If the picture is not big enough its the part under the air filter and the little aluminum oil pump.. Round and smooth.... I uploaded that picture at 750 X655 (or whatever) and for some reason it got shrunk?? Neutral

Brad S

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I FINALLY completed the swap last night and everything works great!
So the answer is YES, combining the two did work Very Happy

I do however have yet another question... would anyone happen to have a shifter console cover for the 242? If not I guess I can keep looking around here on scraps, but as mentioned earlier, jeeps are few and far between around here. The one I pulled my TC off of they crushed just a few days earlier Evil or Very Mad
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very hard to find in the bone yard...

I just poped a shift thingy part from an XJ and glued it to my old one.. Very Happy

But like I am always saying... This is no show rig... Mr. Green

Brad S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, HOPEFULLY, this will be my last question... Mr. Green

In your write-up you mentioned the speedometer being a problem...
I noticed after all this my speedometer is DEFINATELY off unless everyone is speeding by 10-15mph on the interstate...

I took off the radio bezel and switched those two pluggins, that fixed the display, but did that also take care of the speedometer or do I have to do something else as well?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a chart I will find for you.. TCASE gear ratio plus rear axle ratio plus tire size gives you the gear size you will need.. Just pop out the speedo sensor and put the new gear in... Or if your ZJ gear was correct you can just pop it into the 242.. It will work and your speedo will go back to normal..

If you didnt use the 249 gear try that and if you did I will find you the chart..

Sppedo gear is about $15 from Jeep..
Carl

Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the same gear as the 231? If so, give this one a whirl.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect.. That one should work .. all these t cases have a 271 ratio..

SO that one should work..

I bet the 242 he had was behind a 4 cyl. or something so the speedo gear is different..

But ...Keep that other gear.. You might need it when you lift and put bigger tires or something...

Carl

Randall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: 249-242 Swap Reply with quote

I did a similar swap back in June. The wife has a 94 Grand Cherokee and the viscous couple decided it had enough. From what I can tell they are a sealed unit with oil in them and once the seals start to leak the oil comes out and they become explosive. Anyways we bought a used case out of a 1995 wreck without the all time 4x4. I did some measuring and did not bother taking it apart as there was not any real difference in length other than the input shaft was a quarter inch shorter. Out and in in about 3 hours including changing the ujoints. Not really a bad job at all. I was impressed with the ease of it. I did have a bit of trouble with the shifter linkage but it did not take long to fix that problem. The jeep now turns shorter and fuel mileage has increased 20%. I had to change the indicator on the console as this case has a part time 4x4 position. I still have to see what I can do about the dash as the vehicle information center reads wrong when you shift. All in all it was pretty easy. I did happen to have a number of tools that made the job easier as I did pull wrenches for ten years. Those nuts on the top do need a swivel socket.

After that job I am not really all that nervous about tackling anything on this unit. The wife did her own tune up and that was a cake walk for sure.

Happy Jeeping
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: