Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

leaking oil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvthatsound40

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: leaking oil Reply with quote

I have an oil leak on the enging block where the oil filter bolts on the the engine of my 91 xj 4.0. I have bought the O rings for it and I'm wondering what I should know about it before doing the job. Anybody have any tips for me?
luvthatsound40

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought someone would have an answer for me here. I have checked in the Chiltons manuals and books on Jeeps at Borders, and there is nothing on this repair. I guess that I will just have to go at it alone. Finger
luvthatsound40

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed that oil leak on the oil filter bracket. First I took the oil filter off. The 3 O-rings cost me about 12 dollars from a local Jeep dealer. The repair was fairly simple, but to reach the 1 bolt that holds everything on I had to use a 5/8 rachet wrench and not a socket wrench because there wasn't enough room. The O-rings that I took out were so old and burnt they had become more like plastic than rubber. If you have to replace your's, better replace all 3 while you have it off. There is 1 O-ring where the bracket bolts to the engine block, another O-ring that goes on the back of the bolt head, and the last one fits about half way down the bolt itself. All of the O-rings have grooves that they fit into and it went togather nice, no more oil leak there. While I was under the hood I also replaced the valve cover gasket and fixed that oil leaking as well, and I also replaced the gasket under the oil filler cap and stopped that leak. Very Happy
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info - glad you were able to figure it out. But if you stopped all the oil leaks, is it still a Jeep? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: