Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sye and rear drive shaft help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
935speedxj

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: sye and rear drive shaft help Reply with quote

i am wondering what is needed to lift my 93 xj i got most of the lift parts what else do i need it is going to be around 3 inches some people tell me to use a sys an new shaft an some tell me to use a t/c drop please give me some input an best solotions if possible here i am only lookin to jack up my rig 3 inches for now for the clearance ( tired of smacking my subframe furious ) thanks guys ~ phil
Carl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say for others but i am running a 2.5" OME lift with 30" tyres and have absolutley no probs with vibes.

Personally i think t'case drops are a waste of money, after all why lift the thing and leave the most expensive bit of the drive train to dangle in the dirt, seems mad to me.

Generally 3" is the very limit for an XJ lift without needing to go the SYE route, some seem to get away with it others don't. I don't know why.

Now if it was me and i was doing it myself , you say you have most of the bits, i would just do it and see. Mind you i would also be prepared to either fit an SYE if i got vibes or take it off and re-think!!.....and then theres the tyre choice......
majikxms

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the 3" limit. XJ's have a tendency to wobble over 3" of lift, but not all of them. New models I can say for sure have issues with the wobble over 3". Now, with a 93, you may not have that same problem. Only one way to find out...git r dun. Drak69 has a 3 inch on his 00 and he does not have any vibes. Vics98xj has 5 inches on his 89 and he only has a 1" transfer case drop, and no vibes. Phantum's 97 has a 2" with no vibes. Vic will chime in here sooner or later and talk more about Godzilla. Daddy's proud of the green monster.
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 99 XJ with a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift and OME shocks. After installing the lift I had mad vibration on the driveshaft. I first tried some axle shims to correct the pitch of the axle... made it worse. So in the infinite wisdom of Supplee 4WD, he sent me a transfer case drop (which I will have to disagree with Carl here as it was not a complete waste of time) it solved my vibration problem immediately. Slip Yoke Eliminators are only needed when you go beyong the 3.5" mark. An SYE on the T-case and a custom driveshaft will be required. An XJ can be lifted up to the 3.5" mark for usually less than $700-800, but if you want to go 4"+ then you are going to have to go the SYE and custom shaft route. If you do end up doing it, go with a Tom Woods custom driveshaft... very good!
Good luck... CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
935speedxj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoreyXJ wrote:
I have a 99 XJ with a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift and OME shocks. After installing the lift I had mad vibration on the driveshaft. I first tried some axle shims to correct the pitch of the axle... made it worse. So in the infinite wisdom of Supplee 4WD, he sent me a transfer case drop (which I will have to disagree with Carl here as it was not a complete waste of time) it solved my vibration problem immediately. Slip Yoke Eliminators are only needed when you go beyong the 3.5" mark. An SYE on the T-case and a custom driveshaft will be required. An XJ can be lifted up to the 3.5" mark for usually less than $700-800, but if you want to go 4"+ then you are going to have to go the SYE and custom shaft route. If you do end up doing it, go with a Tom Woods custom driveshaft... very good!
Good luck... CoreyXJ
the type of lift im putting on my xj is a set of s10 rear leafs 2-3 inch , an zj front coils about 1 inch, front coil spacers 2 inch spacers an i am going with the skyjacker shocks an front stablizer.. an im going to get a t/c drop to be on the safe side .. :mrgreen:an the costs are as follows ( coils 30 usd) ( leafs 75 usd) spacers 40 usd) shocks an stablizer 185 usd) t/c drop about 30 usd ) so about 375 - 400 usd to lift my rig around 3 inches Finger
Carl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these lift talks, i have never seen so many different options for one model of moter, it's great.
Just out of interest i am looking at boosting mine a bit further so i can stick 31's on there and will probably use rear shackles, not sure which yet, and front coils spacers to do so. I am going to work on the principle of stick it on and see if it works and go from there.

I have heard so many differing opinions that i think for me this is the best route. It should be fun then working out my bumpstops, steering stops, wheel arches, brake lines etc etc etc.

Still not convinced about the TCD but am going to look at a friends motor and see what he's done as he's got one. Never say never.

Will be watching for your results 935 with interest.
majikxms

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always go the home made route on the t-case drop. Vic did this: clicky
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: