Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FM2CD VA at Big Levels on Oct 30, 2004 (56K Warning)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: FM2CD VA at Big Levels on Oct 30, 2004 (56K Warning) Reply with quote

So it was time for our last trip of the year and it was an awesome one. Everyone was looking forward to the trip. Dale and I had done our homework on this one. We went up there on a scouting trip in late July. So we had seen the entire trail and had created our own highly detailed maps from our GPS track logs. The following is the tracklog from this past weekends trip:

We all met up at Shoneys on Rt 340 at 9AM. We had a good turnout for this trip; 8 Jeeps in total. After stuffing our bellies full with an all-you-can-eat-breakfast, we rolled on over to the Super WallyWorld parking lot for a group shot:

From left to right - Vics' XJ, Allens' XJ, Trevors' TJ, Jens' TJ, My XJ, Dales' XJ, Jim & Sherrys' Unlimited, Ricks' TJ.

We then got in order and headed down to Big Levels. The running order was me in the lead with the modded Jeeps behind me, followed by Dale (in the middle) leading the stockers with Allen as our tailgunner. Dale, Allen and myself are the only ones with CB's...the entire group used FRSes for communication. So the three of us could have clear communications with each other, which worked out quite well.

We stopped at a little water crossing about 1.5 miles shy of the trail head to air down and disconnect as well as take our first wheeling pis of the day (Dale took the pics so there's none of him crossing):

Me

Vic

Trevor

Jen

Jim & Sherry

Rick

Allen

We then got back onto Coal Rd and headed down to the trail head (BGLV02 on the map). Once we pulled in, I called out for everyone to go into 4 Lo and guess what?

Yep, he did it again...the T-case lever came right out in his hand. It took about 15 minutes to get the center console out and fix it...the plan is to weld it in this winter so it doesn't happen again. rofl

We then proceeded down the trail and to the first obstacle (BLOBS2 on the map). It had degraded since we were up there in July. Back then it was a simple hill climb. Now it was all uneven and rocky...WOOHOO! So, we got out to let everyone get a look at it.

Then we had at it..basically we let the lifted Jeeps just go for it and then Dale and I spotted the stockers over. There is a bypass, but everyone took the obstacle...good stuff.

Me

Oh no....they say he's got to go....GO! GO! GODZILLA!!! headbang

Trevor. Yes campers...he did go airborne. Hopefully, I've got it on film. Mr. Green

Jen

Dale

Jim & Sherry

Rick

Allen

We then continued down the trail to the first split. If you look at the map you can see the split highlighted in yellow. We had planned to take everyone up the more direct way, but once I went about 50 yards in, I realized just how much it had deteriorated. It was totally knarly (aww yea) and not stocker friendly. So we split the group up. The lifted folks followed me and the stockers followed Dale up the longer section, which was a bit easier. We met back up where the trail rejoins...then we went to the overlook:

Good stuff...but now it was lunch time! So we stopped at the clearing where three of the trails converge (BGLV07 on the map) and busted out the coolers. Of course, while the big kids were taking a break from playing...the little kids were unleashed from the Jeeps to play. Smile :

The rest of the trail is pretty easy stuff, a couple of rough spots but nothing that couldn't be handled. There was lots of this though:

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAWWWW!

After a stop at "the bus" we headed out of the trail system. Damage...let's see: A t-case lever pulled out, an XJ rocker panel pushed in, a busted JKS disconnect, Trevors "Mystery Dent" (it's not really a mystery, he went airborne...twice!) and the obligatory damage shot...I think it's time for me to go flareless:

So let's see...is Godzilla happy?

Oh Yea...that is one happy Jeep right there...

Is our Trail Boss happy?

Well then, it's that time again: FM2CD VA has left the trail! This time we're leaving for 2004. See y'all next year!

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Steve Mr. Green So when is the first wheelin trip??? rofl

Last edited by Billy's89XJ on Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, sorry I had to miss that. Looked like fun.
Maybe I can get up there during Camp Jeep 2005.

Thanks for the photos and I'll chalk up the first sentence to a miss-spelling!
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that was a awesome trip!!!! I say the first trip of 05 should be Big Levels again Mr. Green Kristy had a blast driving the knarly trail in Godzilla, I think I will have a van "For Sale" soon rofl
majikxms

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write-up Steve. To answer the question of when the first trip is going to be for 05, it's probably gonna be in December...04 that is, to Shoe Creek. Rick took a small hit of the crack and is hooked, he wants to go in Decemebr with the wife and kid and my wife. I'll keep you updated Vic.
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted, we'll be there Very Happy

Oh yea on last thing.....

Shoe Creek, Shoe Creek, Shoe Creek, Shoe Creek rofl
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also everyone don't forget about Kentucky at the end of March.

Go here: http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2907

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Still waiting on the verdict... Reply with quote

You know, being in the jeep sure didn't feel like it went off the ground that much. I curious to know how many tires left the ground out that stunt of mine. I got too many dents out of that one. I have a limit, one dent per stupid stunt.

-Trevor
AprilWhine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics and write up Steve! Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the pics Steve and for showing us all a fantastic time. Really looking forward to Shoe Creek in December!!!!

~~ Rick
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, December will be the absolutely, positively last trip of '04...honestly and truly, we promise. rofl

The first official trip of 05 will most likely be in mid March. That will put it 2-3 weeks prior to JH ride in Kentucky and allow us to have a shakedown run to test out all our new winter mods. We can do it at Big Levels again. Mr. Green

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Events & Places All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: