Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not another TC swap question...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeepski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Not another TC swap question... Reply with quote

Hello from da north,

I've been watching this forum for quite a while and I've gotten tons of great information, however this is my first post. I have a 94 GC 5.2 V8 with the 249 t case, I bought a 242 t case out of a 96 GC with a 4.0. I understand from the forum there is a gear change around 94/95. What do I need to look out for, is this a simple input shaft swap or is there other issues here. Any help would be appreciated. I did search the forum to try and answer these questions myself, however, It's still unclear to me wether this swap is doable.

Thanks, Jeepski
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its doable.. The only difference is that on some models the Gear pitch is different on the Sun gear.. Swapping the entire planetary should solve the problems .. There is really no way to tell til you take it apart..But the chances are good that it will work. LIke I said.. Swap the entire planetary set and it should be fine...

I have done 6 of these myself and have read the writeup on dozens of others and only one person has actually had a problem that I can remember.. He had some whining.. And he swapped the planetary setup and was fine..

IF you are really worried look at your build date .. I have heard it was late model 94s that the change took place in.. If yours is a late model it wont matter...If its an early model you can always look for an older 242 and sell your newer model one..

Good luck.. Let us know what you decide..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jeepski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll be gettin dirty this weekend and will let you know how it turns out.
Jeepski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here's the scoop. I received my donor TC and it was the wrong unit. The seller sent me a 96 NP249 by mistake, in very good shape, but not what I wanted. So, I called and the correct unit came in today, a 96 242 with 86K.

In the mean time while waiting for the correct TC to come in, I shot an e-mail George at TC Unlimited. My question was regarding the gear change. My 94 (early model) has the corse set, While the 96 has the Fine set. George reccomended ordering the correct 5 1/8 input shaft from a dealer (cost more than the TC donor). I mentioned Carl's advice of swapping out the planetary gears and all, seems that would work. Then he e-mailed and asked if the unit I bought had a 3 bolt housing extention and said if it doesn't, I'm screwed, it won't work with a V8. I replied I hadn't recieved it yet. Well, It came today and quess what, no 3 bolt extention. I've got pictures, but can't figure out how to attach them.

So, looks like I'm screwed, usless there is a way to make this work. Ever come accross this before, any ideas? Otherwise, any one want to by a 96 4.0 NP242?

Carl, if you e-mail me, I'll reply with the photos I took.

Thanks, Don
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email sent...

I just looked at my writeup.. How many bolts are on the front of your new case?? It appears the one in my writeup has 4 assuming you are talking about the cover on the output housing???
See the cover is not on but you can clearly see that it has 4 bolts..

Is that the part you are talking about???
Anyway.. Send me those pics..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jeepski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, I'm talking about the output shaft and the housing. The case on my 249 is a single piece with 4 bolts. I looked in my Hanes manual they have diagrams of both the 242 and 249. Hanes shows the 242 having a 2 piece case on the output shaft. A base held on with 4 bolts and an extention held on with 3. I e-mailed those pictures to you.

Don
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please resend the photos to
Carbar42@bellsouth.net

Stupid hotmail wont let me download them..
Thanks..

still dont understand what your talking about without the pics ..Sorry..

Carl

Jeepski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carl,

I resent the photos. you'll see what I'm talking about. Take a look at your first donor picture in your swap guide, it shows the 2 part output shaft housing (you call it a tail shaft in your swap guide).

Later, Don
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if anyone can figure it out it's Carl. I once watched him cut up a zj with one sweet swing from a sawzall!

Welcome to the board, hope that we can provide you with great info and in return you can provide other jeepers with knowledge that you have!

My Morning Jacket
96 olive zj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hot much do you want for that 96 242... I may be able to take it off your hands
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is going to use it.. The pics he sent me looked like it just had a shorter housing so that more shaft is exposed.. Not a big deal.. He said it might be 1" longer.. (Probobly wont matter) .. Anyway.. I guess he can answer for himself . Smile

Carl

Jeepski

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl, Thanks for helping me straighten this out.

OK, I'm starting the swap on Sunday. The shaft is about and 1" longer on the 242. So, I'll swap the input shaft, bolt it up and see what happens.
I'll post an update and let you know how it turns out.

Later, Don
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind it might be easier to shorten your rear shaft than to cut the splines.. And you can get a shaft shortened at any drive shaft shop for about $70...

IF you plan on any lift thats the way to go cause once you get to about 5" your shaft is to long anyway... I have had mine shortened about 1" an I pushed my axle back about 1 1/2" and my 4X4 shop guy tells me it might still be to long.. Shocked

I am gonna get around to flexing it out one day to find out if the shaft is to long ..But I have been so busy with work that I havent had time...

Sad

Carl

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: