Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DEATH WOBBLE!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAMA TJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: DEATH WOBBLE!! Reply with quote

Anyone ever experience "Death Wobble" ? Apparently this is the terminology used to describe what happens when a lifted vehicle is traveling and either the front left or right tire hits a pothole or bump in the road independently from the opposite side and creates a snowball affect in which the vehicle starts rocking back and forth getting worse w/each rock until u feel it is about to completely shake u to death (hince the name) unless u come to a complete stop. After researching possible remedies for this, I believe I have decided to replace the stock lower control arms w/ longer after-market control arms designed for my TJ's lift and hopefully the "Death Wobble" will be put to death. Is this the correct route to take? Any suggestions would be appreciative. Confused
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing I can tell you is to make sure everything is tight..
especially track bar and steering stuff...

Get some one to sit in the Jeep and wiggle the steering wheel while you are under the jeep.. (Do it with the jeep running and do slow pulls from one side to the other..)
You will probobly see whatevers loose flexing with the wheel.. Tighten it down ..
Problem solved..

I had a horrible case of death wobble and it turned out to be the adjustable track bar.. The bolt on it was loose and it would flex when steering wheel was turned which transmitted while I was driving ... It got very scarey.. Shocked

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time around, it was a badly out of balance wheel, second time was a lose track bar. And bad bearings will do it. So yes, start by checking that eveything is tight. It's an eye opener, isn't it? Wink
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too got it from an out of balance wheel, scared the hell out of me a few times.

My Morning Jacket
BAMA TJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe everyting is tight but I'll make sure and do this and exhaust all other possible causes before forking out extra dough ..... thanks for all the input. Smile
SHNIPE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine was a combo of a badly out of balance tire and the lower bolt on the trackbar. Tightened the bolt, and had the wheel balanced as best as possible and no more DW but i still get mini wobble cause the tires are prolly out of round.
Fat Chili

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Death Wobbles Reply with quote

I have experienced it also, scary $hit, first on 31"s then on 33"s the cure both times was a wheel alignment ensuring that the toe in was set at 0 degreees. Most wheel aligners in Aust put 1-2 degrees of toe in on the car on vehicles as most cars are set up to have it, lifted TJ's aren't most cars Rolling Eyes .

Hope this helps, it worked for me.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took a combo of new tires and an alignment to solve my problem.

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: