Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine pre-heaters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Engine pre-heaters Reply with quote

Hi all,

Winter is fast creeping up on us and i do not have the option to stick the Jeep in a garage, 'ahhhhh poor chap' I hear you all cry.

I want a product that will pre-heat the engine coolant, circulate it and turn on the blower so when i come out to my motor in the morning it is all demisted and luverly warm. I can plug into the house as i park by the wall and timers are no problem.

I believe there are units on the market but as i am re-building at home i now have a massively limited budget and wonder if anyone has built something along these lines or knows of a reasonable product on the market that does not cost a fortune.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to accomplish this would be a security system with a remote start option, which would eliminate the need to plug the Jeep in. There are factory and aftermarket engine block heaters, but they cannot start circulation of the coolant (since the engine needs to be running for that) nor can they spin up the blower motor (as the ignition needs to be on for that).

I know brands like Viper and Clifford tend to be expensive, but there are others out there that can be picked up for around $100 and installed yourself.

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
95sahara

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a remote starter in my S10 pickup. It was a Bulldog system that was just a starter, no alarm or door locks or anything else. It was only $45 at Wal-Mart. And I installed it myself in half an hour.
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have now weighed the pros and cons as i see them.

I have discounted the remote start option as i see the use of one of these as a negative for the following....cost of alarm to have the facility, (and i think alarms are a waste of money) car running to de-mist which is noisy for the neighbours and my still sleeping wife, i am normally out by 6.15 am so she would not be amused, and the detrimental effect on the engine.
Ta 95 Sahara i didn't realise you could get these things on their own but even so i decided not to go that route.

I also discounted the webasto and similar independant deisel units mainly because of their stupid prices, and the drain they take from the battery on a car that is not running. One point here i noted is that they have a safety that prevents the unit working if the battery is low on volts. Well batteries do get low in the cold weather and if i went out on a really cold and frosty morning and it was not working i would be really irritated.

Also discounted were the simple block heaters as they don't link to the fan for de-misting.

So that left me with the Kenlowe.....disadvantages are the fact it has to be pugged in, well no probs at home and now possible at work so this is the one.
I did like the idea of the webasto being available to pre-heat anywhere but the balance was not there for me to get one. The kenlowe seems to offer real pluses in pre-heating the coolant and interior without strain on the engine and for a diesel in the winter that is a real plus........and i won't have to scrape first thing....excellent.

I will post my thoughts when the thing is in.

Carl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: