Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto Tranny fluid change and other maintenance

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmwperson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Auto Tranny fluid change and other maintenance Reply with quote

Hey guys, I just bought a 97 Grand Cherokee 100k on the clock.. Im gonna change the tranny fluid, diff fluid, flush the radiator and top off all the other ones.
Now which fluids I should use? Redline 75w90 for the diff, the tranny? atf4+?
Is there a nice DIY about changing the tranny fluid? What brand should I use?
Do I need any gaskets or anything like that?
Is there a 100k inspection list? (or a list that tells me what gets usualy replaced during a 100k routine checkup at the dealership )

Also which local stores carry parts for my jeep? napa? pepboys?

Edit: Also my main reason for changing the tranny fluid is because it shifts kinda rough... but then again a drive a 5spd daily Smile

Regards,
Tom
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a tranny filter kit.. It comes with a gasket..

Change the oil pan gasket and rear main seal also .. Since you are going to be under there.. If it where me I would change the oil pump while I had the pan off...

Also ..Do your best to get all the fluid out of the tranny ...Disconnect the tranny lines from the cooler and blow it out to..(assuming you have a tranny cooler.. Mr. Green )

That will do along with a regular tuneup.. Cap and rotor and plugs and wires.
that kind of thing..

For about $10 more than a stock replacement you can get a melling hi-flow oil pump.. Make sure you get high volume ..Not high pressure... Wink
A friend of mine made the mistake of putting high pressure pump in his and it blew all of his seals.. rofl

Anyway. That be more than a good start....

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bmwperson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man for responding Smile Im gonna be replacing some seals since I just noticed some leaks, the transfer case is leaking and for some reason there is alot of some kind of black stuff where the seal should be ( looks like someone made a seal out of a ATV sealant or something ). Im gonna visit napa tommorow. How hard is to take the transfer case out? PS my car is a v6.. Im also looking for a decent manual ( I bought some manuals from online but they are not really that helpful )

Ill make some pics of the leaks soon.
Tom
bmwperson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some pics
http://www.thesocket.net/jeep/
If you could tell me the name of the seals that would help alot, It looks like the main real seal? and the transfer box seals to me... taking the transfer box out doesnt look that hard.... replacing the main seal would be harder Smile
Also there is some rust on the bottom of the car, Im thinking about buying 3m rubberized undercoating and using that to seal the undercarrage ( after removing the rust ofcourse) is that a good idea? does this look like alot of rust? Confused

Tom
bmwperson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after reading some more manuals etc... I only have 2 more questions. The tranny leak (the 2nd one on the pictures) what could that be? The oil pan is there and I see some oil on the filter so maybe the filter isnt tight... or just the main rear seal is blown... For now ill be taking the transfer case out this weekend... replacing all the seals and whatnot(thinking about buying a rebuild kit from ebay ) I guess the rough shifts are because of running low on ATF fluid.... looks like a nice project ahead of me. Oh well I have my M3 to drive Smile
(if you dont fell like reading all the sh*t I wrote above I just need the answers to the following questions Smile )
Question 1: Whats that leak on the tranny?
Question 2: Where is the dipstick for the tranny?(i spent 10m underneath the car looking for it)
Tom
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leak on the tranny is probobly a pan leak .. No biggie.. The filter and pan gasket are under $20 ... The rear main is (if I remember correctly) $10 and its a 2 piece seal so you only have to take off the oil pan and drop the rear bearing cap.. (Be carefull with the bearing.. It must stay very clean.. )

the T-case has 6 bolts in it.. The easiest way to pull it out is to jack it up slightly take of the cross brace and then let it down slowly till you can reach the top bolts... Make sure your Jack is under the tail of the Tranny so the T-case can slide out.. ITs not so hard..(Make sure you disconnect everything from the T-case before you try to drop it. (Speedo shifter and stuff...)

The output seal on the T-case is hard to come by.. You will probobly have to go to Jeep for it.. All the autoparts stores around here have the wrong part number in the computer.. (that part is $35 from Jeep..)

The tranny dipstick should be on the passenger side all the way at the back if I remember correctly.. (under the hood..)

Oh and you have an I6 not a V6 Mr. Green
And just for you help in the future .. These guys hate it when you call your Jeep a Car.. I usually call mine a truck but then again.. Mine looks like a truck... rofl

If you need anything else just hit me up..

Carl

Oh yeah.. I always use the Valvoline Max life fluids ..In everything.. They make gear oil tranny fluid oil , powersteering fluid.. Blah blah blah..

But I dont have a particular reason for using this stuff except that it makes my shelf in my garage look much more ordered when all the containers on it look the same.. rofl

Everyone has their own personal prefference as far as oil goes.. Just pick your favorite.. If you dont have a favorite . You can use mine.. rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bmwperson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redline, M1 and valvoline is what I use most of the time I bought 10 qt of ATF 3+ is that good for the tranny?...anyway Ill see tommorow about the leak on the tranny, by pan leak you mean the tranny oil pan? of so its not Smile I already dropped that down and it was perfectly fine plus the oil on there looks like engine oil not ATF...

Right now my tranny pan is down and the fluid is draining and tommorow Im planing on removing/disassembling the transmission case, diff fluids, dropping the tranny and oil pan ( tommorow and sunday ). Im pretty happy with the jeep it looks quite easy to work on except why wouldnt you have a oil drain on the bottom of the tranny pan ? Confused Im also buy a case of that 3m rubberized undercoating and coat the whole bottom.

I really appreciate your help.
Regards,
Tom
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it looks like motor oil and is leaking down at the tranny its the rear main seal.. Very common.. THe part is cheap and its not that hard to fix..
You will have to drop the oil pan and the rear most crank bearing.. The seal is 2 piece like I said its not hard to change it.

Carl

bmwperson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the part+oil pan gasket... fixing it right now. I just finished doing my diffs+tranny. Now im stuck on removing the tcase how do I get the damn arm for switching modes off? Its like there is this green plastic that its in and I cant get it out of the plastic thing....

Tom
bmwperson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nm got it now I have another problem... the top nut on the tcase I unbolted the crossmember and lowered it like 1" but i still dont have enough clearance to get there ...

Tom
bmwperson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some how I got it off... It was a royal pain in the ass...

Tom
bmwperson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is $70 for a full rebuild kit for my 242 a good deal?

Tom
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good deal.. Is that new chain and everything??

Sorry I didnt answer sooner... BUt lean it more.. It will be fine.. Just keep coming down till you can get your arm in there...

I almost lowered mine till the jack came out from under it.. Just dont leave it all the way down.. It will strain your motor mounts..

Carl

bmwperson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chain gaskets and bearings
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet.. Where did you get it. I would like to have a set around for my 231..
Mr. Green I am sure it will need rebuilding soon.. rofl

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: