Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Idea to keep things cooler??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: A Idea to keep things cooler?? Reply with quote

Anyone ever try like some race cars and VWs do, either space up the hood or a bar or something to kick the rear of the hood a hair up to help let out heat?? I was thinking thie maybe a cool mod instead of cutting the hood and installing vents??
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mite work never know i know for an XJ louvers works they did it in petersens 4 wheel mag
layne227

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: an Idea Reply with quote

on a Vdub it is done to let more air in and people still argue whether it does any good or not I can't say for certain with out a wind tunnel if it would create a eddy current and little effect or a heck of a lot of flow but I digress. It would take a lot of trig (sin cos ect) to figure the angle but angled (machined) shims for the hinge and the latch mechanisms seem to me to be the easy way on first thought
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: an Idea Reply with quote

layne227 wrote:
on a Vdub it is done to let more air in and people still argue whether it does any good or not I can't say for certain with out a wind tunnel if it would create a eddy current and little effect or a heck of a lot of flow but I digress. It would take a lot of trig (sin cos ect) to figure the angle but angled (machined) shims for the hinge and the latch mechanisms seem to me to be the easy way on first thought

Thats what I was thinking of trying with shims.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be as effective on an XJ. The biggest hot spot (with the 4.0) is actually forward on the hood to the passenger side. I saw a writeup on it someplace, and I can't find it now, but what the guy did was create an ice sheet on his hood and then run the engine to reveal where the hot spots were. He showed that even raising the back of the hood did little clear up the hot spots.

A better mod to help alleivate under hood heat is to cut into it and install some vents. I know Swampy did something like it on the Zebra...I'll try to find a pic.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen pics and he did do a hell of a job!!! I do have a hood vent from J here to use Mr. Green Just thought maybe might be a better idea. I guess I could be like the old street rods and go hoodless rofl rofl
bonestajker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thing of some thing simmlar, but more along the lines of a cowel effect ,if u were to cut and fold the seam of your hood allong the back it might allow the hot air to escape . /
/
------------------------------------/ --/ flying pig
l
l
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: