Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need info on a 99, possibly buying it

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: need info on a 99, possibly buying it Reply with quote

My mother has offered to help me put money down on a new (used) car. My uncle is selling his 99 grand cherokee and we are lookig at it.

He has owned it since 36k, it has 120k on it now. New tires/brakes/shocks ect. He says sometimes he hears a whine from the rear (im thinking bearings) but other than that it has been great.

It is a 6 cyl limited with all highway miles (he drives 2 hrs to work each day)

Im looking for major things that go wrong with them.

I know the water pump is known to go out, but what about the tranny/ engine.

I dont know much about the newer I6's, but this one has been maintained.

RIght now they told me that book value is $7000 and trade in is like $5000, does this sound like a decent vehicle for the $. I dont mind small things, but would hope to get at least another 40-50k out of it without any major issues.

Edumacate me please

Dan(hopefully soon to be riding in comfort)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2381

Dan, this has some info on recalls and trouble spots.
Loki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt worry about the engine, their stout but the rear axles in the 99 GC's are known to be junk. You will have to do the research but in that year Dana had problems with them. Also I wouldnt buy the first year of a redesign, always have bugs the first year.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.. BUt if your aluminum axle in the 99 goes out it is not that hard to put in a ford 8.8 and that makes it that much tougher... They are expensive to lift but if you are looking for a good ride dont lift it . Very Happy
Although I would say that my ZJ with 5.5 inches of lift probobly rides better than the average stock YJ...
WJ's are overall very nice.. The axle problems are not that promanent if you are not going to wheel it , You will probobly be OK..
Good luck and welcome to my world...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
Yup.. BUt if your aluminum axle in the 99 goes out it is not that hard to put in a ford 8.8 and that makes it that much tougher... They are expensive to lift but if you are looking for a good ride dont lift it . Very Happy
Although I would say that my ZJ with 5.5 inches of lift probobly rides better than the average stock YJ...
WJ's are overall very nice.. The axle problems are not that promanent if you are not going to wheel it , You will probobly be OK..
Good luck and welcome to my world...

Carl

Its a d35 so not alum. I am gonna pull it apart tomorrow bc it does make noise... sounds more like a brake/tire noise than a bearing one though...

It is officially mine, and i havent paid a dime for it haha my aunt gave me the title today.

It is a SWEET dd, i love it soo far. I had to buy a battery bc the stock one (5 years old) was on its last legs, it would hold 12 amps but under load dropped to 3, so it was still starting , but wouldnt idle for a while, and it was hard to start. Its got a nice new bat going in tom, then ill reg it in my name, take her to the car wash, and hopefully this weekend back at school ill even break it in is...i told a female freind i was wanted to break it in and i got positive feed back

Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweat.... If its a 35 rear its probobly brake noise.. The bearings in a 35 are not the weak point.. Mr. Green But the axles are...
Keep the tires under 33 and it will last much longer..

Check the Diff fluid just in case .. Just pop out the rubber plug and stick your finger in.. It should touch fluid.. If it does your fine..
If not you may as well pop the diff cover off and change it.. (Better than adding)

Good luck.. And Enjoy..

Special good luck with the breaking in... fo shizzle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DozerDan wrote:
I'll even break it in is...i told a female freind i was wanted to break it in and i got positive feed back
Mr. Green

But Dan ..................... Troy hasn't had the Jeep Horizons condoms made yet so sorry you will just have to throw your hand on the back seat and rape it. flipoff agree
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: