Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XJ Front axle conversion and some other questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: XJ Front axle conversion and some other questions Reply with quote

Can you swap an XJ front axle in with no lift? Will the HP axle clear everything? Also what about the front Driveshaft? Another question is, will adjustible LCA's fit on the stock suspension or will it need to be lifted? This is all being done to a 97 Grand just so you know. Will the ABS work with no problems if I use a XJ front with abs?
90 K5, tbi350/th400/241/SYE/3" Tuff Country/D60 Powerlock/14ff Detroit/4:10's/Crossover Steering/Hydro Assist/37" MTR's

87 Burb, tbi454. Drinks gas and hauls ass.

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get an XJ front with ABS it will work .. Make sure you get the sesors with the axle.. As they may be differnet.. ( I dont think they are but why take a chance..)
It will work with no lift.. Only worry might be slight vibe in front shaft..
(It may actually point up) But I dont think you will have a problem with length .. Then again every rig is a little different and it is possible that your shaft will be to long after the change over..
Adjust the arms all the way in and measure them if they are less than 1" longer than stock you should be fine there to.. But much more than that and you will start pointing your pinion at the dirt..

I think the adjustable arms are stock length when fully compressed..
(at least the RE's I got with my 3.5 kit where)

All this being said.. Why are you swapping in an HP30 and adjustable arms but not doing a lift??

If I remember correctly with a BB and HP30 my shaft was pointed slightly upward.. (No vibes though..)
BB are cheap.. And you dont need to buy new shocks or anything right away.. If you are worried about the fit of anything you can get just the spacers for about $70... From www.KevinsJeepparts.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the front axle is toasted. When I say toast it needs everything including gears. Two lower control arms are fubared so I might as well do the adjustibles while anticipating the lift in the future. I was thinking about the BB but I would be selling it as soon as I lift it next year. I am going to scrap the abs in the future too but I still need it at this time but that is deffinately subject to change. Thanks for the help so far.
90 K5, tbi350/th400/241/SYE/3" Tuff Country/D60 Powerlock/14ff Detroit/4:10's/Crossover Steering/Hydro Assist/37" MTR's

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should go ahead and get the budget boost.. Because then when you buy a lift.. Say 3.5" you can make it 5" By just leaving the BB on.. It wont hurt a thing...

Any you can still use short arms at that height ..Just my opinion..
Thats how I originally got to 5.5 .. I have since replaced everything with 5.5" springs.. But I still have my BB for when I build a Long arm kit.. Then I will be at 7.5...See how it works... Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
You should go ahead and get the budget boost.. Because then when you buy a lift.. Say 3.5" you can make it 5" By just leaving the BB on.. It wont hurt a thing...

Any you can still use short arms at that height ..Just my opinion..
Thats how I originally got to 5.5 .. I have since replaced everything with 5.5" springs.. But I still have my BB for when I build a Long arm kit.. Then I will be at 7.5...See how it works... Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

I'm thinking about a set of these. Are they any good? They are a little salty price wise but I like the adjustability.

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd has them on his TJ (WhatwasIthinking) you might want to ask him if he likes them. I know it's not a ZJ, but it is the same concept.

My Morning Jacket
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ya have the spare cash to buy the ACOS system then do it. They work slick and I have tinkered with them a few times to get my rig leveled after the springs took a set and broke in. Well worth the investement in my opinion.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: