Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rusty's 4.5"

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Rusty's 4.5" Reply with quote

Okay, so yall said Trailmaster lifts arnt very good, but how about Rusty's? i found a good 4.5" lift with everything for only $569
ecrab3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huey, my opinion is to get something good the 1st time. Mostly because of price and usually you can add on to it if its better than the cheapest lift. You start too cheap, you soon will be replacing the cheap parts with the good ones one at a time and before you know it, you spent way too much.

I think the Rusty's lift looks pretty complete, but like it keeps coming up on your other post, there is more to the lift than the shocks, control arms and leaf springs. The SYE and new rear driveshaft is another $550. The new tires and wheels is another $600+, if you dont install it yourself (which is extremely easy) could be another $600-1000. Its gets super expensive really quick.

With that said I have a Rubicon express 5.5 lift with a budget boost, im up there big time but I certainly didnt need that height to fit 33s. I have trimmed my fenders long before lifting it and im pretty sure I could of fit 33s with a 3" lift and properly set bumpstops. BTW...Those limit the amount of uptravel your wheel does, keeps from overstuffing and busting something up. the wheeling that I have done is only mud. Thats all we have in Louisiana. And im too tall to to rock climbing now. Might flip over.

I say try the rubicon Express 3.5" lift and trim your fenders, nothing to it and you will fit 33s no problemo. You will save some money and have some of the best equipment around. And by avoiding the super height, you might avoid the extended driveshaft and extended brake lines and so on. Your ground clearance will be just as good as mine and you save $1000! But that is what I would do if all there was is mud, maybe things are different where you are.

Good luck!
Huey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the looks of your JEEP. anyway if i got his 4.5" i would put some 32"x11.50's or x10.50's, would i have to buy a new SYE? and one more thing if i get the RE 3.5" i would still be able to fit 32"x10-11.50's on there? i read some where that i would have to trim the fenders even for just a 4" lift to fit the tire size i want.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huey wrote:
I love the looks of your JEEP. anyway if i got his 4.5" i would put some 32"x11.50's or x10.50's, would i have to buy a new SYE? and one more thing if i get the RE 3.5" i would still be able to fit 32"x10-11.50's on there? i read some where that i would have to trim the fenders even for just a 4" lift to fit the tire size i want.

You might be able to sqeeze 32's under 3.5" of lift if you set up the bumpstops correctly. What trimming (if any) is needed will depend on how much or little bumpstop you run as well as what backspacing you end up with. If you go with the stock rims you should be ok...but after market rims usually have less backspacing, which moves the tire outside of the wheel well requiring fender trimming.

I think I stated it before but IMHO, stay away from Rusty's. Most people that I know who have run his lifts end up not happy with it and swap it out for something else.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what they said..... It all boils down to how much you want to spend on your Heep. I, being a former broke college student (who recently graduated May 2004) didn't want to spend a ton of money on a lift... If I did then I wouldn't have been able to afford the SYE, custom shaft, wheels and even the tires!!
So what I did was go the cheaper route, but still got good quality stuff, and was able to get my whole Jeep done for less than $2000.

Lift & Shocks (3.5" RE Kit w/OME Shocks) - $650
Wheels (Cragar black round holes) - $130
Tires (31" GoodYear MT/R's) - $750
Transfer case drop kit ( TeRafLeX) - $30
Pain and suffering.....Priceless

But see, all that adds up to $1560 and I got the look I wanted with good tires and wheels and didn't break the bank doing it.

Nuff said......CoreyXJ

Oh and one more thing - I installed everything myself which also saves on cost - That way you don't have to "pay" somebody else to do it.

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
Huey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corey-is that $130 for all 4 wheels? and if so what size.

Lets say i wanted a 4" lift, what would yall recommend for it?
-I know ab the RE 3.5" and that looks like a good deal i just really want some 32" tires and i prolly want some after market wheels.

Hopefully if this is an easy thing to do me and my uncle will try and do it together ourselves to save cost.

PS-If i can fit some 32x10.50's on the RE 3.5" lift id most definitly get it.
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - 15x8 Cragar wheels from Quadratec.com $35 each plus shipping
4" backspacing and 5 on 4.5 lug spread.

You better go ahead and do the 3.5" from RE because you net about 4" total lift by the time its all over with. 32's will fit fine but, like I said before, they might rub on extreme flex. That means you will have to trim underneath or modify as such. My 31's did a number on one of my fender flares so you can imagine what one more inch may do.

CoreyXJ

ecrab3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huey, the trimming inst a big deal at all. The factory flares pull right off(mostly) then your cutting away at the lip. You can reinstall the flare if you want to, but trust me it will look cooler with them off. Im saying that because with my budget boost im pretty damm sure I could of fit 32s on the front WITH aftermarket wheels. Maybe a lil rubbing in the rear but thats only because my stock springs had sagged so much.

Corey's suggestion is a good one, get that RE 3.5" lift, they are always taller than advertised. The key thing is them bumpstops to limit that wheel uptravel. With 4" I bet you can fit 33s on with no trimming but you gotta have them bumpstops set right or it will chew into your metal, which then you gotta trim and back to square 1 again. You also wont have any flex for S__t but it could work.

HTH and thanks for the compliments Wink
Huey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corey-Those look good but their $70 now.im guessing these are it?-

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?T1=92600+104+07&UREQA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=00&UID=2004120215445834
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope... try these on for size.
http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?UID=2004120215445834&T1=92601%2B401%2B07&UREQA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=00&x=42&y=44

XJ Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know everybody loves re, but lately have been reading and having friends have problems with thier leaves, they snap, and have horrible axle wrap. Kinda like what rustys was doin with the old manufacturer.

Rustys current leaves are uber and i would suggest his 3in kit to anyone, same with any of his kits

i just posted some pics of my rig up, and its got rustys 305sts lift, and i run 36's, tsl's none the less so basically a 37 in most other brands

heres a pic just cuz it looks cool

Last edited by XJ Fanatic on Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE pretty much stands behind there product very well. I've wheeled with Coreyxj and been in his jeep, It flexes great and rides great, all except for the vibration that we got, which was then stopped by the t-case drop. Huey, seriously call Bob and see what he can do with the RE 3.5" lift, corey will give you his product number and maybe Bob has a Christmas Special going now.

My Morning Jacket
XJ Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the point is you should not have these problems, that repeat over and over again. Oh and if you get re stainless lines do not install them, RE admits to the 2nd party manufacturer having problems and the possibility of them just falling apart
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with leafs breaking, axle wrap, etc. is not necessarily caused by a defect in the leaf but rather by overflexing (inverting) the pack, thus causing it to wear out quicker. Inversion will cause ANY leaf spring to fatigue, sag more/sooner and even cause failure/breakage/wrap etc....this is especially true when it comes to leafs that are very flexy, like RE's.

It all comes down to proper bumpstops. To many people ignore them when lifting, but they are an important part of a well tuned suspension. Without proper bumpstops, something is stopping your uptravel, whether it's a tire hitting, a shock bottoming out, a spring ovecompressing, etc. In any case, it's not something you want happening very often.

I'd recommend DPG Offroads bumpstop plates (scroll about halfway down the page). They are just new spring plates that extend out under the bumpstops. The kit comes with spacers that stack on top of the plate so you can fine tune how much uptravel you have on the spring. The other advantage to them is that since you are limiting the uptravel, you can also run longer shocks and get some more droop...which is a good thing. thumbs

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Huey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would 15x10 wheel's work on a 32"x10 or 11.50 tire?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: