Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

should i fill my garage with Jeeps? which do you prefer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodsytc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: should i fill my garage with Jeeps? which do you prefer? Reply with quote

my wife and I own a 1998 Wrangler with the 4cyl engine and so far it's been great. she loves the ability to remove the soft top and have some wind and not get stuck on the steep(ish) SW Virginia hills/mountains. Our minivan is aging and i'm thinking about replacing it with a used Cherokee or even a grand cherokee (the used grand cherokees seem out of my price range... or are they?) i still need a very depoendable ride but i'm in the under $9~10k price range. are there engine/transmissions to avoid? are there certain years or "packages" to avoid (orvis/laredo... etc?)

what are your favorites and what have you found to last the best.
thanks for your help. Wink

i think it might also be kinda cool to own only jeep 4x4's Very Happy
(my brothers/sisters/parents think we're nuts to do it! but they all drive honda/toyota sedans Shocked) ... so sensable Rolling Eyes

this post also appears in the cherokee forum, i'm just fishing for information. my apologies to all those offended by duplicate/reposting

-woodsy
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a grand.. They are much cooler... rofl

Seriously.. If you can find a grand with a 4.0 and a 242 Transfercase you will be set.. (242=2WD-4 Fulltime- 4 Parttime- N- 4Lo)

The only reason I am not recomending the V8 is because it comes with a 249 and they are known to have problems..

For $9000 you can easily get a Grand.. probobly as new as 98/Possibly even a 99...

Good luck...Oh if you plan on using it off road.. Might want to steer towards the 98 or older.. Since the 99 and up. (WJ's) started having a crazy triangulated rear suspension thing..
The ZJ's will have the same suspension as your TJ..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fer sure go with a Grand Cherokee, they rock!
hehe, and speaking from experience, unless you want to mess with doing a Transfercase swap, go with the 4.0, I have the V8 5.2 liter and it totally kicks butt now, but I had to do that TC swap.. it wasn't a ton of fun..

I picked up my 95GC Limited for $5,500 - which, adding the $300 for the new Tcase, wasn't such a bad deal I guess considering this beast runs like a beauty now and the interior leather is just about PERFECT.
JimGuy100

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

error4324
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: