Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tranny leak - where?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5.9 ZJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Tranny leak - where? Reply with quote

Okay, I didn't get under my ZJ this weekend due to extreme laziness, but I did notice something...

My (assigned - ugh) parking spot runs uphill a decent amount. Wjen I park nose in first (front end higher) I have a pretty good tranny fluid leak. When I park the other way (front end lower) there's no leak at all.

Rear tranny seal?

I hate to try to diagnose this to death, but I've been unemployed almost 2 months now and moolah is tight.

Thanks-

Brian

'98 5.9, satanic 249 still.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tranny leak - where? Reply with quote

5.9 ZJ wrote:
Okay, I didn't get under my ZJ this weekend due to extreme laziness, but I did notice something...

My (assigned - ugh) parking spot runs uphill a decent amount. Wjen I park nose in first (front end higher) I have a pretty good tranny fluid leak. When I park the other way (front end lower) there's no leak at all.

Rear tranny seal?

I hate to try to diagnose this to death, but I've been unemployed almost 2 months now and moolah is tight.

Thanks-

Brian

'98 5.9, satanic 249 still.

Sure sounds like it to me. I'm no tranny expert, but all the rigs I've owned over the years that leaked out the rear seal I'd just back in, then the fluid stayed up front. Not a solution...but temporarily might work. I don't think the rear seal is all that expensive to replace. Honestly I don't remember how much they cost though. If I was to have one go out, that would be the one. Keep an eye on your fluid. No sense creating more problems.

BTW, good luck on the job situation. It's tough in our neck of the woods, too.Wink
5.9 ZJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I grabbed a rear seal for my rig and commenced with wrenchin'... but got as far as the skid plate, which was apparently torqued on by a gorilla on crack.

Even with all of my weight (200) behind it I couldn't budge the bolts.

Sigh. tool

If I wasn't so damn broke right now I'd go buy a cheapie compressor and be done with it, but...

Anyone in or around Asheville up for a small project? Very Happy

I have a promising interview tomorrow, so there's hope yet!

Thanks for the reply, I'll update a possible.

Brian
5.9 ZJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tranny leak - where? Reply with quote

IBTJn wrote:

BTW, good luck on the job situation. It's tough in our neck of the woods, too.Wink

Well thanks... but I'll be in that neck of the woods in a few months - I'm moving to Everett.

Trust me, ANY job market has to be better than Asheville's... sheesh, it's bad.

Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: