Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FM2CD VA Wrenching Party - Jan 22, 05

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: FM2CD VA Wrenching Party - Jan 22, 05 Reply with quote

edit - Writeup and pics are below. Mr. Green

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Last edited by ThePhantum on Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we are still at it. Dale's lift is pretty much in and Allens rear springs are done. We're now working on getting Dales exhaust done (he needed to replace his cat as a condition on installing the lift).

We got the old cat out but couldn't get it detached from the muffler.

So what did we do?

rofl

We got this in....

...and now we are waiting for Vic and Allen to come back with a brandie new muffler for it.

More to come...

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here's the synopsis of Day One (yes, this is turning out to be a 2 day event...we need to do a little work on 'zilla today). Attendees we're Vic, Dale, Allen, Jay, David and myself. We started with Dales Jeep (left bay) and Allens Jeep (right bay).

Meanwhile, Christopher (our trail boss) ordered me to start up the Camaro...then he wanted to sit in it. rofl

Work went fairly smothly despite a few snags...here's Vic helping Allen get his leafs in.

The obligatory spark throwing pic.

The first major snag came with Dale's new u-bolts. He was installing a set of DPG Offroad bumpstop plates and he had a set of new 9/16" u-bolts made up by a local shop. The problem was that they were too long...Dale had specified 8" and these were just over 9". So there was not enough thread to tighten it all down. We decided to use the old nut plate as a spacer, but we had to drill out the holes to fit 9/16" bolts.

Then we just installed it and cut down the bolts...the finished product.

Meantime, Allens rear springs were done so we pulled Jay's in (the yellow XJ)...he needed to fix the squeal in his front brakes.

Did I mention that Jen, Kristy and the kids were making cookies?

Back to Dale's Jeep...we decided to let Allen and Vic work on the front suspension, while Dale and I started in on the exhaust. Dale's wife was letting him lift it on the condition that he fixed the rattle in the catalytic converter. First, Dale cut the old system out.

Then the new cat was installed.

At the sametime, Vic and Allen hit a snag with the coil springs...problems with the spring compressor. One of them popped off the spring while it was under tension...luckily the other one held.

Anyway Dale and I tried to get the muffler off the old cat, but it wasn't going to work...not without having to weld it all back together, which Dale did not want to do. So after getting the springs in, Vic and Allen headed up to Fredericksburg to see if they could snag a new muffler. Meanwhile, Dale cut the tailpipe off of the muffler, since we planned to reuse it.

Of course, Advance Auto Parts did not have the muffler. So, we had to redneck rig it. Got a piece of flex pipe...

Of course, our luck was going well...we needed a 2 1/4" flex pipe and all they had was 2 1/2". So Dale ghetto fabbed this high quality solution.

Although this is temporary until Dale can get a new muffler, it sounds bad ass...like a Jeep should.

Vic (& family), Dale & Allen stayed over since by the time we got done it was after 9pm and the roads were completley iced over. So we mixed a few Jack and Cokes, did a couple of shots and crashed.

After breakfast, we are going to swap out the t-stat in 'zilla and maybe do some grinding on my fenders...we'll see. It's fricking cold outside.

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:

Last edited by ThePhantum on Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after a breakfast of blueberry waffles and lots of coffee, we ended up back in the garage today. Vic was having some problems with his heat and wanted to swap out his t-stat.

Dale decided to install his brackets and tow hooks from C4x4. Sounds easy right?

Not!

First off it was frickin' cold out...how cold was it you ask? We only had a halogen lamp to keep us warm...

rofl

Seriously, it was 25 degrees outside...before wind chill. Shocked

Vic also discovered that two of his crossmember bolts were screwed up...again. So we ended up tapping out threads for new bolts...this time we put thread locker on them before torqueing them to spec. That should solve that problem.

On to the tow hooks, let see...the directions suck big, hairy, sweaty moose balls. Dale and I are pretty good about keeping tools in order while we are working...we were so pissed off and frustrated that this is what happened to "keeping the tools in order".

That really says it all. Speaking of tools, I'll let this idiot do the writeup since it was his Jeep we installed the hooks on.

Suffice it to say (and aside from all the cursing) there was some of this...

...and this...

Anywayz, it all got done. Vic has heat again, his crossmember shouldn't fall out (taking his drive train with it) and Dales front tow hooks are on.

All in all a productive weekend, we got a lot done. The sad part is that it's the end of an era...no more "Monster Flex on the Stocker". May we have a moment of silence please.....

Thank You.
rofl

Welp, that's it. We're gonna have another one soon cause Vic and I need to install winches on mine and his as well as lift Kristy's XJ (when she finally gets it). So until then, FM2CD has left the garage.

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
majikxms

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all ya'll who helped...Steve, Vic, Allen, Jay and David.

The ride is good, the alignment will get done, but there are no wobbles. My wife said to get the damn muffler installed cause it's too loud, on a good note, she likes the lift.

Finished Product.

Before, Stock on 30's:

After, looks like 2" to me on the same tires:

And the "evil" tow hooks, what a cluster, but they look good (write-up to come):
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of that exhaust, here's what the 4.0L sounds like with a pipe where the muffler should be. After hearing it, I'm thinking about just going straight pipe from the cat back on both of ours (instead of spending the money on Flowmaster 40's). I gotta look up the regs here in VA and see if running without a muffler is legal or not.

Quote:
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help to Guys!!! Sad thing I still don't have heat Sad Engine temps didn't drop down bad, like going there, but time for a new heater core. Had a great time!! See you all soon!!! Mr. Green
Chuck's Girl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hope to be driving an XJ by the weekend, so should come up to lift it rofl And I want to help install it!!! Pic time!!! Hope I don't show you all up to much rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
majikxms

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After what we went through the past two days, it wouldn't be that hard to show us up... rofl rofl rofl
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got love a woman that wants to get down and dirty with the boys rofl What was that t - shirt she want?? Oh yea Jeep girls like it topless & dirty. rofl
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

majikxms wrote:
After what we went through the past two days, it wouldn't be that hard to show us up... rofl rofl rofl

No kiddin'. I still feel like I have an inch of ice all over my back... rofl

The new springs are great, and it rides like it did after we first put the Skyjacker 3" on. I will NEVER go back to AALs again!!!!

Hey Vic, after all those trips to Fredricksburg, you would think we'd have fixed that heater problem by now!!!! rofl

BTW, as soon as I d/load my W2 and get my tax money, I'll be looking at a front/back bumper combo from Four Real, and if there is enough money left a winch to go with it. Hopefully I can get that money real quick!!! rofl rofl rofl

BIG THANX TO JEN AND STEVE FOR PUTTING UP WITH OUR ASSES ALL WEEKEND LONG!!!

Next time I won't wear the "fire boxers"!!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed rofl Mr. Green

1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey phantom...no its not illegal to run a straight pipe but it has to have no leaks...the thing they can bust you for is noise pollution but to be on the safe side have a copy stating its not illegal in your jeep so if the "kind" police officer is just doing his job you can prove him other wise
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:

"I see dead suspension parts"...sorry, someone had to do it.

nice synops! i can't see the final pics here at work but i'll check them out at home. sure wish we could justify lifting the new xj Sad
chris
majikxms

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
sure wish we could justify lifting the new xj

Making it look cool is justification enough!!!
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
hey phantom...no its not illegal to run a straight pipe but it has to have no leaks...the thing they can bust you for is noise pollution but to be on the safe side have a copy stating its not illegal in your jeep so if the "kind" police officer is just doing his job you can prove him other wise

Excellent!! crazy jeep

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Events & Places All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: