Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nasty Coolant

View previous topic :: View next topic  
climberguy0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Nasty Coolant Reply with quote

I've only had my Jeep about 6 months, when I got it I changed all the fluids (found out later that the previous owner took, or rather, didn't take care of it) and the coolant was espeically nasty, rusty and there was this nasty sludge at the bottom of the overflow tank, sorta like mayonaise or old milk and this green color. So I flushed the whole system. Later I had to replace the water pump so I changed the fluid again, and after going wheeling one day the system was full of this nasty brownish stuff and the gunk was starting to form at the bottom of the overflow bottle again. Several friends have suggested that my head gasket is leaking oil into the coolant. I took it to a shop and they said the head gasket was "fine" but that I have a small hole in my radiator. The wrench wasn't real helpful, and didn't explain why the coolant is so nasty. Any ideas? I'm going to flush my coolant system again and change the oil to see if I find anything in it. About the radiator hole: My dad once took a radiator to a shop where they pressure tested it and then fixed the hole by soldering it or something like that, but this has a lot of plastic on it and taking it to the shop won't be real cheap. How much is it to replace it with an all metal radiator? Thanks in advance.
detox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid around $170CDN for an all metal rad. but make sure you ask for it. some places don't or won't sell all metal ones..

And accually, its unlikely to get oil in the cooling system. and if there is, you will most definitly have coolent in the oil. or maybe the old owner used some sorta stop leak in the rad and thats what your finding in the bottle.

if you want to do a good system flush, this is what I did....

install a garden hose 'T' attachment to one of your heater hoses, the top one I think, remove the termostat but bolt the cover back on, undo the bottom rad hose and let it hang there. hook the garden hose up to it, turn it on and watch the crap come out of it.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got a radiator leak, replace it. The stock radiator is a 2 core plastic peice of junk. I just did a radiator upgrade a couple of months ago. A brand new metal, 3 core radiator cost me around $135 shipped from http://www.radiator.com

Good Luck.

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: