Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a good deal?(yup its me again)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Is this a good deal?(yup its me again) Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7942773354&category=33585

It says i dont need a new SYE. and its a 4.5" kit.
Huey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^The thing i saw about it was that no SYE needed. And im gettin low on money and its also free shipping..hmmm.
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how a 4.5" lift and a 1" t-case drop all equates to no SYE needed. I have also heard mixed views on Rough Country stuff....
It looks like the kit doesn't have the actual extended brake lines...It says "extension brackets" which probably relocates the rear brake line - bad idea. It says "sway bar drop bracket" which is kind of silly to do when you can get a nice set of longer disconnects (which the kit doesn't come with) and leave the sway bar where it is. You are also going to have to press in your bushings in those lower control arms. Unless you have a press, you may damage the bushings trying to put them in. The shocks I am assuming are Heckethorns which are pretty ok.... Also the rear lift relies on an add-a-leaf with blocks....Thats also a questionable way of doing it, because a lot of times blocks can be problems later on.
I have heard people call it just that - rough. If you think this is the way you want to go then, by all means get it while you can.

CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
Huey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think its a good deal? $$$ wise it sounds great, but u said uve heard mixed feelings..also would i not need a new drive shaft either? Thanks alot Corey..merry xmas!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much what Corey said. AAL's will sag over time, blocks cause axle wrap...neither is good for the leaf springs. I've also heard that Rough Country inflates the actual amount of lift netted. So, for example, on a 4.5" advertised lift you might only net 4" (or less).

The bottom line...you get what you pay for. My advice? Don't try to scrimp and save by purchasing less than quality parts...you'll just end up redoing it later. Do it right the first time.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huey wrote:
Do you think its a good deal?

Negative Ghostrider..... I don't think its a good deal. Maybe for the money, but like thephantum said... You get what you pay for

CoreyXJ
Merry Xmas to you also !! Very Happy

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huey one of the worst things in the world and we've seen it a hundred times is when some one picks out a cheap lift and when they get find out that they still need to get more stuff to make it work! You do pay for what you get. You have a list of good lifts to go from that are not to expensive. Stick with one of Rubicon Express or the Fab Tech. Trust me you'll be happier in the end. With 4" of lift there is a 95% chance that you will have to do an SYE even if advertised that you don't!

My Morning Jacket
88greenxj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been runing that same kit on my xj for two years with out problem the lower control arm bushing went in easy and ive been beating the crap out of it since the day it went on the jeep hell it survived tellico
88greenxj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah and im not using a sye on mine just the t-case drop
ecrab3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go Huey, if your going with a 4.5" lift, a sye is pretty much a safe mod that cant go wrong. This is alot cheaper than what I paid, next money is $260 for a new driveshaft.............

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114231

good luck with whatever you buy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: