Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FM2CD Shoe Creek Dec 18th (write-up and pics)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
majikxms

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: FM2CD Shoe Creek Dec 18th (write-up and pics) Reply with quote

Couldn't sleep the night before, but that was normal. We were all excited to get on our way to C-Ville. Allen called me at 0722 to see if we were meeting, I told him to stop by the house at 0745 and we would be on our way. 0750 we were on the road: Myself, Rick and Allen with passengers. One emergency pit stop for Justin and we arrived at Waffle House 0915. The four other Jeeps that were meeting us were no where in sight, not even Godzilla. Smothered, covered, diced and sliced were waiting for no man, so we went in to eat. Godzilla and his driver Vic showed up about 0930, but no others at the 1000 depart. Forty-some odd minutes later we were at the the South side trail head of Shoe Creek and with the quickest air down in FM2CD record we were on the trail by 1100.

Pam (left) and Angie (right) keeping warm while we aired down.

Rick driving through the second creek crossing.

Godzilla playing on the little rocks.

Blue, not to be left out, thought he'd try it too.

After taking the left trail at the camping area, we continued on the main trail up the hill. We got a good ways up the hill when I heard on the radio, "WE'RE SLIPPING!!!" Rick is running his stock tires and was unable to get up the hill on the ice. On a side note: Rick has a 2.5 inch OME lift in the garage and will be stuffing 33's under it, this however does him no good at this point so he continued to slip on the ice. Back to story. We turned around and went back to the camping area. After the hair raising slip and slide, did I mention he almost went off the side, or at least when he tells the story he did, we did what any troop would do...eat lunch. Blue and Godzilla weren't hungry so they went to find the rock garden.

Blue and Godzilla were gone for about an hour and I had lost them on the FRS. Angie and I jumped in the XJ to see if we could pick them up. The first thing I heard when I finally got them was, "Vic, I need a tow rope, I can't move or I'll roll!!!" Oh !@#$, what the heck have they gotten into. According to Allen they got to the top of the hill and it turned into an ATV trail, they decided to turn around. I'll let them tell the story, I think they deserve it. The next time I heard from them the term "trail damage" was being used most frequently and Vic was stuck on the trail with his T-Case drop missing a bolt. He was eventually able to get it back in place and motored back to camp. I think we were all done by this point and it was time to relax and have some more lunch.

Allen's broken light.

And last but not least, what's an FM2CD Trail Ride without me acting stupid. Enjoy, I did!!!

Last edited by majikxms on Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up Mr. Green Well lets just say it was a new experience for me & Allen rofl Followed the trail to a big rock slide, so we couldn't go forward, which then also had No Trespassing signs!! So we had to back down!! Needless to say I was so worried about going over the edge I put Godzilla on a big rock that I got a really good look at the ground Shocked Gave me a little scare. Catch back up tp Allen backing down and "CRUNCH" there goes his tail light. From here I'll let Allen tell the about the almost roll over Shocked
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it was fun to be had, all around... rofl

Anyways, after finding the trail had gone "Private" and was as narrow as a politician's field of vision, we decided to go back. I had Sandy help guide me backwards until we got to a more open area with a sheer rock face on the right side. The rock face was pretty well slanted so I gently rode around the outer rim of it until I was completely off of it, then proceeded backing down. Sandy was starting to get cold so I had her hop back into the XJ to warm up as I continued down. I was thinking about calling Vic on the handheld to inform him of the rock face when "CRUNCH"!!! I uttered a few well-chosen oaths and had Sandy hop out of the XJ to check. Lo and behold, a fallen tree had found its way right into my rear taillight. Fortunately, there was minimal damage, the lower lens of the housing had cracked and the rear metal fender crumpled a bit, but all-in-all workable damage. I had Sandy hop back into the XJ then realized I hadn't heard or seen 'Zilla in awhile. I called up there on the radio to check on Vic, and I heard this coming out...

"I'm a little busy right now..."

So I chalked it up to him attempting to maneuver around a few trees and branches, and continued down. I got to the fork in the trail where we had decided to go left on and waited for Vic to come down. After a minute or two Vic showed up. Apparently the rock face I had given a wide berth had nearly flipped him. Since he didn't have a spotter at the time, he took a steeper line on the rock than I did and nearly toppled because of it. I told him that I had become distracted by trail damage and had forgot to mention to him that rock face was there.

Oops.

Also, because we were not on very even ground, Sandy's seat-belt had locked up on her, so she would have to wait until we could level off before hooking back up.

Anybody getting a feeling of "foreshadowing" here?!

So, our thoughts and XJs gathered, we turned our attention to the fork in the road. It was a three-part trail, one road leading up to where we were, one leading down to the rock garden where we entered in the first place, and one branching off to the right. Deciding discresion was the better part of valor, we decided to head on out and meet with the others at the playground. I decided on a four-point-turn strategy, where I would back around to the right, move forward onto the right-side trail, back up to the upper left trail, and proceed forward down the rest of the way. Feeling that the trail was tight on all sides, I decided to take a sharp angle backing down to the first turn-point...

"WRONG MOVE!!!"

The ground was cold and slick being on that side of the mountain, and as I backed down I lost traction and slid about 2 feet. I immediately cut my wheels over and threw her in Drive to compensate, but the drive angle to maneuver out was slanted on the LEFT side as well, and I ended up off-cambered to the left, looking almost straight up the hill. I cut the wheels the other way and felt the XJ list EVEN MORE to the left while SLIDING backwards, so I let off the accelerator, slammed the brake down hard to grip the tires, and engaged the parking brake. I got on the horn to Vic who was watching all of this nervously from above and called out...

"Vic, I need you down here NOW with a TOW-STRAP!!!!"

At that instant, Sandy, who was gripping death to the door and center console (NOT WEARING A SEAT-BELT, REMEMBER?) immediately called out "I'm getting outta here!!!" and made for the door-latch...

And I told her in the calmest, lowest voice I could muster....

"Do... NOT... MOVE... an... INCH. If you leave the vehicle now, it WILL FLIP OVER, probably carrying you over as well. JUST... WAIT..."

I glanced at my inclinometer, sitting ever-so-patiently on the dashboard. Instead of the nice, happy "zero-line" angle on all sides, it had a very distinctive "frown" to it, with a red-line level of "3" for both pitch AND yaw...

Not good.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the cavalry was moving up. Vic hopped out of 'Zilla and was bounding down the hill. He got by my window and asked what we needed to do. I told him I wanted a tow-strap on one of my tow hooks to center out my line so I could maneuver out of this predicament, or at least anchor my Jeep so it didn't flip until I could figure out the next step. Unfortunately, he said he didn't have one in 'Zilla...

And my tow-strap and rope were sitting in the back of the Jeep, currently inaccessable.

Crap.

Vic walked around to the rear of Blue and looked at both sides of it, and told me that if I straightened out my tires, I could roll back to center without worry. So I disengaged the parking brake, put the Jeep in neutral, straightened out the front tires, and after saying "I love 'ya, Vic, my ass is in your hands...", I let off of the brake slowly.

And balanced out rather nicely.

So, after we both finished out the four-point turn, we navigated down the hill to the rock garden and out towards the playground until Vic popped the t-case bolts. After a brief bit of wrenching, we made our way to the playground to lick our wounds and regale everybody with our happy tale. Vic and I have decided to post a sign above the rock garden that states quite clearly "DO NOT GO UP THIS PATH UNDER PENALTY OF DEATH BY ROLLOVER!!!!".

And you know the funniest part of all of this?

All I was thinking about during the near-flip fiasco was...

"Vic and I will never live this down with Steve and Dale...."

Funny, huh? Rolling Eyes rofl Rolling Eyes rofl

Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be a trip me and Godzilla will never forget!! Oh how slippery was it you say?? Well lets say I took a nice little slide getting out of zilla to help Allen. weeeeeeeee, LOL. I should have told Allen first your camera so I can take a pic, then I'll rescue you, LOL!! I don't know zilla looked, but after watching blue's front wheel leave the ground and see saw, i was scared for Allen & Sandy. I need a vacation rofl
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no You guys learned your lessons. Three of them actually: spotter, spotter and spotter....especially when backing down an offcamber trail.

As for this...

Yer an idiot D...

too funny too funny too funny

Good times. Glad y'all had fun.

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New theme song...

Oh no there goes t-case bolts, no go godzilla rofl
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic's89XJ wrote:
New theme song...

Oh no there goes t-case bolts, no go godzilla rofl

too funny fo shizzle

Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, there is a picture of Dale pooping rofl too funny

Sorry we missed it, and figures the one time Steve and I don't go, Angie goes.

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
Huey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what is that blue xj running?
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huey wrote:
Hey, what is that blue xj running?

Talking about the lift? It's a Skyjacker 3" with front fender trim and 31" BFG ATs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Events & Places All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: