Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying an iPod. Any suggestions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Buying an iPod. Any suggestions? Reply with quote

So instead of getting an RF modulated MP3 CD changer I think that for the same price, or a little more, I am going to get an iPod in the next week or so. Combined with a car charger and an FM transmitter I think it will do the job.

Anybody got any suggestions as to whom to buy from or any must have accs?

I still haven't decided on the 20 or 40 Gig iPod as yet because the 40 comes with a dock ($40 part if bought seperate). If I bought the 20G and a dock then there would only be a $50 difference, and I could get 20 more gigs for that.

The 20G will run about $280 and the 40G will run around $370.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
skorpi0wn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend the FM transmitter. You won't be happy with it. I recommend wiring the IPod directly into the stereo.

This can be accomplished easily if you have a place for a CD changer on your factory or aftermarket stereo. Unfortunately, the parts will cost close to $200. Check out the ice>Link @: http://www.dension.com/main.php?pageid=50&topid=42

This will connect your IPod to your factory stereo, charge the Ipod and allow you to control it from the stereo itself. That way, you can hide the Ipod somewhere, (like the center console).

I just got a 4G Ipod myself and love it. I filled it right away, but I don't think I'll need to listen to all 7500 songs I have on it.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, see the iPod was supposed to be cheaper than a cd changer that would play MP3's. That it how I conned myself into buying it. Mr. Green

I have went from the FM transmitter [which sucked really really bad] to an old school tape adapter. One of these days I may wire in in straight, but I think I'll wait till something really cheap comes out.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Buddha_Kip

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just remember that with an ipod, you'll be shelling out at least $100 every year to 18 months, as you cannot change the battery in those things....gotta send it out to have the battery changed.
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddha_Kip wrote:
just remember that with an ipod, you'll be shelling out at least $100 every year to 18 months, as you cannot change the battery in those things....gotta send it out to have the battery changed.

Seriously??? That's a great deal they have going for themselves?
Okay, since I'm sorta new to all this and I'm supposed to buy some sort of music playing device for a b-day present, does the iPod play MP3's. Well, is there any real difference than an MP3 player (keep in mind I don't know squat about them so don't get too technical.) Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been turned off by most of them for a couple reasons.

1. I don't need the capability to play MP3s on the go like an iPod or other portable device would allow me to do. I have an MP3 capable head unit in my Jeep. I can put about 10 hours of music on a CD-R and it keeps my happy.

2. I would never get close to filling one to capacity. I don't need something that big. The 700megs I can get on a CD-R is just about perfect for my needs. Not to mention, I only have maybe a gig or so of MP3s.

3. The price. They're rediculously expensive. I have 100 other things I'd rather commit $400 to.

With all this said, I have a Diamond Rio (the original iPod that started it all) that I bought at the time b/c I got a good deal on it with rebates from an online retailer at the time. It's got 32megs built-in and can be expanded with a compact flash card. I never bought an add-on card. It ate batteries like a 600lb woman would chow down chocolate. I haven't used it since I bought the MP3-capable head unit. It just sits in the closet collecting dust.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
I've been turned off by most of them for a couple reasons.

1. I don't need the capability to play MP3s on the go like an iPod or other portable device would allow me to do. I have an MP3 capable head unit in my Jeep. I can put about 10 hours of music on a CD-R and it keeps my happy.

2. I would never get close to filling one to capacity. I don't need something that big. The 700megs I can get on a CD-R is just about perfect for my needs. Not to mention, I only have maybe a gig or so of MP3s.

3. The price. They're rediculously expensive. I have 100 other things I'd rather commit $400 to.

With all this said, I have a Diamond Rio (the original iPod that started it all) that I bought at the time b/c I got a good deal on it with rebates from an online retailer at the time. It's got 32megs built-in and can be expanded with a compact flash card. I never bought an add-on card. It ate batteries like a 600lb woman would chow down chocolate. I haven't used it since I bought the MP3-capable head unit. It just sits in the closet collecting dust.

While I still like discusing the merits of the pod and such I actually bought it like 2-3 months ago. It's prolly one of the coolest things I have bought in a while. It made me start ripping cd's like mad. My MP3 collection doubled in a month. I just topped 20 gigs and have another 20 to go.

All that said I have an MP3 capable head unit in my Jeep and Maxima. THe reason I decided to go with the pod in the Rover was cause to get a new head unit and an amp bypass would be damn near the price of an ipod. Now I can take the music unit I bought speciffically for my rover and put it in either one of the other two vehicles, my girlfriends car, and any other vehicle with a line in or tape deck. All that and I can shove some earbuds into it and walk around with it [office, those damn fall festivals that women love draggin you to, lawnmower....etc.].

I give it one of these--> thumbs

Back from the Dead??
the bertrain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: IPOD INSTALL Reply with quote

Well hello friends

i'm new to the forums but not new to jeeps. I've got a 2002 KJ and am loving it. I recently got an ipod for christmas and love it! Id like to install it in my car via a hardwire but since i'm not the most saavy of electricians out there (and i refuse to pay some stereo place to do it)...where can i get instructions on how to remove my console? There is an aftermarket stereo in there already so all id have to do is plug the hardwire into the aux unit. I would like to run the wire from the back of the stereo to somewhere along the mid console area (maybe the arm rest?)

any suggestions would be great!!! im excited to be a part of jeep lovers!! Very Happy
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome

Your best bet would be to pick up a FSM (Factory Service Manual) for the KJ. Not only will it tell you how to remove the console, but it's basically everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-your-Jeep-but-were-afraid-to-ask. I have one for every vehicle (including both Jeeps) I own. Wink

Good Luck.

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddha_Kip wrote:

buy it from best buy and get the service plan BBY will replace the battery for free then. With the amount of these things I've seen going through service for stupid little things like teh battery and crappy connectors it'd be dumb not to buy the service plan on them

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I bought a Sony MP70 deck. I can rip MP3s from CDs or just D/L them off of certain "groups", then just put the CD in the deck and have hours upon hours of fun. Get a notebook that holds about 250+ CDs, and you're in heaven. The only thing to top that would be a MP3/CD 10-disc changer and a nice cubby-hole to put it in... (future mods rofl )

qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have to say that the iPod that I bought was the best investment at the time. It's the easiest method for holding 10,000 songs in one vehichle that I have seen.

I do have MP3 CD players [Aiwas] in two other vehicles and that they work fine, but a HD based MP3 player will spoil you quick. A 700MB CD seems like a pittance compared to having a HD that will hold about 50 cd/r's worth of MP3's. Like I said, spoiled. I'm at about 18 DAYS worth of MP3's now [6k+ songs]. I'm sitting at about 22GB and growing.

It's totally portable [i.e through a tape deck adapter]- it can go to anyone else's vehicle with me or I can walk around my office with it on. I have not had any problem as of yet with the battery. I keep a DC adapter in my vehicle so worst case if the battery were ever to completely go out it would still be useable with the DC adapter. It is also important to cycle the battery every month to keep the charge high, this is where people get lazy. Also, the price to get a battery changed out has plummetted in the past 6 months. It is getting closer to $50 every month and by the time I need it done it should be below $50. Or I could always make an external battery pack for it.

http://www.chrisdiclerico.com/mt/archives/001572.php

I think I might make one of these anyway, cause they look badass.

Back from the Dead??
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: