Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

249-242 swap question: VIC Display...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cool Whip

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: 249-242 swap question: VIC Display... Reply with quote

So after completing the 249 (ugh) to 242 (hoo-ray!) swap, I've got a question about the VIC display. I've got some conflicting information on what I need to do to get it reading correctly. Right now it says all four wheels are engaged in all modes, including 2WD, it say's it's in Lo when in 4 Hi, correctly reads when it's in Full-Time, and correctly reads when it's in Lo.

This isn't a very big deal at all, but I'd like to know what I have to do to go about fixing it. I've read that I can rip open the center console and try to switch around some wires in there, but a Jeep technician told me I just need to replace the switch on top of the transfer case itself. If the switch costs too much (he said $36, but we'll see...) or rewiring in the console is too much work, I won't bother, but is it possible to do this cheaply and without dedicating too much time?

The display isn't a big deal, I'm just glad my vehicle isn't skipping whenever I turn now Smile
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your T-Case is the same year or newer it should work to change the wires..
If it came out of an older one .. You will probobly need to change the switch..
(Maybe the wires to.. )
Lets start by asking the simple question.. What year is the T-Case??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mcracco

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to rewire anything, merely swap a connection. The harness behind the VIC has 2 connectors; one for 242's and one for 249's. (red and black if memory serves)

Pull the VIC and feel along the harness that it is connected to. You may have to remove some tape but the connector will be there.
ccjer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the new bezel and switched the wiring for the VIC (information Center). I found a female connector taped up (barly visible) to the core 1 1/2" thick wire harness bundle, and the male conector taped up a couple of inches above the female also to the core bundle. It was a single wire, black with a thin red strip. I cut away some tape and connected the connectors (tough getting your hands back their to work). I tested the system, no go. Now I was in search of the before mentioned (posted) green wire to "cut" or disconnect, but there were many greenish wires (and did not want to cut anything). I took a shot in the dark and disconected one of two other disconnectable connections and picked the winner. The one to disconnect is a two wire male/female plug that was closer to the drivers side then the black/red stripe wire I had connected. It kind of stuck out, in that the plastic plug itself was bright red and had multi-colored wires (greenish and yellow striped) with different color wires on the female side of the plug. The wrong choice (do not disconnect) was a plug closer to the glove box that I had followed the wires to a temp sensor (I think) that pokes out in a hole to the dash beside the glove box. My VIC now works like a champ, spelling out and idicating which tires are live and what mode I am in. Sweet.
'98 ZJ 4.0 LTD; 3.5 RE springs front, modified intake, tom woods shafts (front and rear), 4:10's lock right in the rear, US Steal 16x8 4.25 back space, TJ front shafts, 242 t-case swap, JKS rear upper ca's, JKS trk's, Kevins HD crossmember
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is corrrect... You plug in the black and unplug the red...

How does it feel to have that 2WD now.?? Very Happy

I love mine...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ccjer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels awsume to have 2wd. I started on the project just before the winter (put the tcase in) and it mostly sat all winter (only had the front shaft connected) while I waited for it to warm up and saved dough to buy new shafts, bezel, and a few other goodies. I just put in a brand new set of Tom Woods shafts and could not be happier. Kevins sliderz and DH crossmember are next, can't wait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: