Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BFG's M/T vs A/T

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: BFG's M/T vs A/T Reply with quote

I have been looking at getting some BFG's. Mainly because they are cheap and yet good tires. Does anyone run either the M/T or A/T? I was wondering what the pros and cons were. I was leaning more towards the M/T. Any advice would be good.
-Thanks
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran both. Actually have owned AT's, ATko's, MT's, and now MTkm's. The AT's are very quiet, exceeptional on the pavement, wear terrific, and are a good all around trail tire for general purpose wheeling (hate that kinda terminology because eveyone's idea of wheeling and said difficulty differs, ya know Wink ). I have no complaints with any set I've owned and would prolly put a set on a vehicle that was only gonna see pavement duty. The ony thing I can really think of that was kinda negative is that they didn't clean out well in deeper snow. Would just pack in the tread and become a 'slick'.....we don't get much snow like that in these parts, so I didn't really care much about it.

Had the original MT's on my CJ many, many moons ago, so I kinda forgot about how they performed and what not. After drving with the AT's for so long, I was really reluctant to go with the more aggressive MT tread pattern for worry about highway performance and longevity. Finally bit the bullet and got a set and was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't trade a helluva lot off when doing so. I don't find much of a difference in the rain over the AT's, they do a hella better job in self cleaning in the deeper snow, and have wore like champs. They are a bit louder than the AT's on the road, but I'm in a soft top equipped vehicle.....I'm pretty sure I'm 97% deaf by now anyways rofl . Offroad there isn't a comparison, these tires just walk up the stuff the AT's reallly had to work for traction in. Rocks particularly. Guess it depends on what you're gonna be doing with the Jeep and what ya expect outta it. I sold my old 33's to a buddy and he found the MT's to be unbearably loud for him and switched back to AT's. It's pretty much a personal preference.......I'd say get the MT's if you're gonna trail the Jeep though, I think they are that much better that it's worth it Mr. Green .
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..............now all the TrXus groupies can chime in flipoff agree rofl .
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:

Damn straight. Get Trxus MTs and have the best of both. Siping and grip of an AT with the lugs of an MT. You can't go wrong with them...unless you want the highest mileage possible out of a tire. In which case, go with the ATKOs.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolup You guys are like weeds Mr. Green . I will say I almost got a set when I was looking at their 34x12.50 option. They're availability scared me off though and I ended up with the BFG's again because I know I wouldn't be able to spit without hitting a shop that had the BFG I needed if the situation arose. This was awhile ago, so I'm sure that the supply issue's fixed itself by now.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[hijack]Hey Eric, how much mileage are you getting out of your Trxus?[/hijack]
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
'drack wrote:

Damn straight. Get Trxus MTs and have the best of both. Siping and grip of an AT with the lugs of an MT. You can't go wrong with them...unless you want the highest mileage possible out of a tire. In which case, go with the ATKOs.

rofl ME Too!

I realy like mine, quiet on road and exceptional off road.

I have had both the non-ko AT's as well as the newer AT/KO and the older version on the MT. All Great tires. The BFG AT's are the best road wearing tire of the bunch.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
[hijack]Hey Eric, how much mileage are you getting out of your Trxus?[/hijack]

Well, the one set is pretty much offroad only now so I don't recall what kind of mileage I have on them. I think it's something like 12-15k. 4 still have plenty of tread....the 5th one I think either was on the front twice or I have an alignment issue as it's wearing much quicker than the others.
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the difference between (AT's--ATko's) and (MT's--MTkm's)? I have seen them in mags but they don't say what is different. I will be using my jeep as a every day vehicle, but I want the best possible traction off road. The tires I have right now have a smaller tread pattern like the AT's. They get the job done, but when it comes to snow, mud, or sand the pritty much suck. So I was looking for something more agressive. As for sound, I don't mind the sound. Thanks for the input.
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An AT is an all-terrain. This has a much more street friendly tread. The tread blocks are closer together and there's a lot of siping (the little lines cut in the tread blocks).

An MT is a mud terrain. MTs have better offroad characteristics due to their larger tread blocks with lots of space inbetween the blocks for traction on rocks, logs, and other obstacles.

Like I recommendation before, get the best of both types of tire with the Trxus MTs.
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad! I was not too clear. I meant what is the diference between the AT's and the ATko's and between the MT's and the MTkm's? I know what AT and MT stand for, but not ko and km.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The km's and ko's are just the next generation of the respective tire. There are differences between the MT's and MTkm's and the AT's and ATko's, but the exact differences escape me at the moment, it's been awhile since I ran either old version. Whatever ya buy now is gonna be the new style anyways.
MaineZJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truxus
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks for your help! I was looking around for the Trxus MT and have only been able to find them on line. I have not been able to find them any where around here. I will continue my search, because I have been reading up on them and they sound like a better all around tire than the BFG MT. I have noticed that these tires say Interco on them, yet I continue to see them with Super Swampers. How does that work? Are they two different companies or one in the same? Or am I just wrong all together? I think it would be sweet if BFG made their Krawlers in a 33''. I have heard thatt those are some pritty good tires. Does anyone know if they plan to in the future?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interco is the company that makes Swampers , TrXus, TSL's etc.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: