Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intermittent Shift Problems and high idle

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Intermittent Shift Problems and high idle Reply with quote

So I just inherited my Dads 1989 XJ. It has the 4.0 with the BA10/5 Tranny. Back in September(yes, only 3 months ago) right after I got it, the clutch slave cylinder went out no where near my house and I had a new clutch and slave installed because I couldn't shift at all. Since then, I have had the tranny rebuilt, swapt the transfer case for a rebuilt, changed the clutch master and slave again, and Im still having trouble shifting when it gets warm.

When it gets warm, I can shift fine when in motion. However, if I come to a stop and take my foot off the clutch in neutral, when I go to shift into 1st gear (or any gear for that matter) I either get an incredibly amount of pressure keeping me from shifting or I get grinding even though the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor and the car is not in motion. Also, I tend to get stuck in gear sometimes, even with the clutch fully engaged. I have tried to accelerate when the tranny gets stuck to verify that the clutch is fully engaged, and the car doesn't even attempt to move. So tonight I shifted the Transfer case into neutral and shited the tranny all over the board, taking my food off the clutch multiple times and I had absolutely no problems.

Any ideas? I read about an adjustment to the linkage for the transfer case, could this be the problem? Hope someone out there knows.

Also, I have been reading about the TPS sensor linked to high idle. The engine has been having intermittent high idle for a few years now, we clean out the butterfly valve occasionally, but most of the time turn it off, kick the gas peddle a few and where the heck is it located? I would really appreciate any insight into either of these problems, and I appologize for the lengty first post...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't had to deal with this in a jeep, but the first thing i'd check is your linkage.... if you have had that much work done, (new clutch, new rebuilt tranny), then it would seem, that the last link here is the linkage, no pun intended. make sure your linkage is fine, so you can single out the real problem... it is too hard to tell without knowing if your linkage is correct. either way, the issue sounds like it's mechanical, and not related to electrical or cpu issues... i'd put my money on the linkage, take it back to the shop that installed the new tranny, (unless you diy) and have them adjust it properly... then, get a FSM and start reading... sorry, that's the best i can do.... i'm sure someone else here has some more helpful advise, but that is where i would start...

'94 xj 4d w- '97 4.0HO 5 speed ax15 dana 30 c8.25 ar767 15's 31" bfg MT's TBS 1", 62mm TB K&N cone flwmstr exhaust. 5" homebrew 1/2 rusty's (f) 1/2 dakota packs (r) 2d shim 2" tranny drop wilderness r-rack full spare hi-jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: