Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

93 GC No Start problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Mann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: 93 GC No Start problem Reply with quote

I have a no start problem with my Jeep, and it is starting to get really frustrating. It is a 1993 Grand Cherokee 5.2 engine.

BRIEF HISTORY: It is my mom's Jeep, I am using it for a few months so I can park my old Chevy pickup and weld in some new floorboards and rockerpanels..so far the Jeep's radiator and alternator went out, and now this. The 65 chevy is still getting me around.

My mom always parked in the garage and had no starting troubles. I keep it outside. Wet weather caused hard starting--long cranking times before it would start. Now it just will not start at all. I can crank it forever and it does not even cough or spit.

I have done the following: replaced cap, rotor, wires and plugs. I ran the codes and all it indicated was #12 (battery or computer recently disconnected). Mom had the fuel pump replaced several months ago.

I could just start replacing stuff...coil, sensors? But I thought I'd look for wisdom at this forum instead...

Thanks for any advice...Jerry
Bub

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: '93 No Start Reply with quote

I've got a '93 JGC and it gave me similar problems. I tried all of the cheapo mechanics who replaced all of the parts you mentioned, and a few more, but it it ran so poorly that it bucked and snorted, and stalled when idling or backing up. Then it simply wouldn't start.

I bit the bullet and took it to JEEP. Turned out to be a faulty ingnition coil which they replaced for about $250, which was less than I had spent with each of the 3 local garages.

I'm all for the little mechanic, but they cost me nearly $1,000 and didn't solve anything except how they would pay for their next month's rent!

Suggest you have the coil tested.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will suggest checking your coil first.. Take the coil wire off the dist cap and put a phillips screwdriver in the plug .. Then have someone turn it over while you hold the screwdriver near the alt . Bracket (Or something metal..) You should see sparks shooting from the screwdriver to the metal...

(Warning do not touch the metal of the screwdriver or lean on the vechicle while you are trying this.. You might get zapped... Mr. Green )

Second.. If you have spark.. Check your Air Charge Temperature sensor..

When mine went bad ..It made my Jeep run very bad.. It was very hard to start.. Maybe yours is completely failed...

Its right here..

By the way... If yours is very dirty replace it .. But get the part for a 93 dodge truck with the 5.2.. Its much cheaper and its the same part...

Dont ask me why there is a different part number... Maybe Dodge and Chrysler .. Maybe just so they can sell you the more expesive JEEP part...

Either way the part is identical and I have been running one for over a year... Very Happy

Let me know if any of this helps.. OR not...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah.. You can check your TPS (voltage should be between .5 and .7 ) and Clean your IAC (Idle air control ... Back of the throttle body...)

I keep a spare TPS .. they are not that expensive .. If you change it and it doesnt fix your problem.. Guess what...

YOu have a spare to... rofl rofl rofl rofl

Good luck...

One last bit of advice.. Go to a bone yard and strip all the sensors off the throttle body of a Grand (93-95) and swap them out that way you dont have to buy them new until you know they work.. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: