Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New suspension

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danoh83

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: New suspension Reply with quote

I currently have a 2 inch body lift and 2 inch coil spacers with 33s. I am upgrading my suspension to a bigger and better system. I am purchasing a rubicon express lift, but my question is, should i leave my body lift on and get a 3.5 inch lift, or should i take off my 2 inch body lift and get the 4.5 suspension? Any suggestions?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never been a fan of the 2" or higher body lifts on Jeeps so Its easy for me to say "get rid of it". Mainly for me its just the noticable gap between the body and frame that I dont like.

I have the JKS 1.25" BL on mine and its almost invisable. Its amazing that just 3/4" can make such a difference, at least for me.

IF your planning off offroading or allready do and need something better under your rig then a true suspension lift will do the job. BL's and coil spacers only help clear large tires and give a little more clearence under the Jeep but do nothing to help with your articulation.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to "get rid of" the 2" body lift, first see if someone will give you enough to buy a 1" kit to replace it. You're probably going to want to do a body lift/engine lift combo anyway. If you can't sell it, cut it down to 1 to 1.5". I cut my 3" kit down to 1.5" and made a 1" kit for my buddy's Jeep out of the left-overs. We both just got new bolts and are both happy. Mr. Green

Chuck
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RE 3.5" coils are plenty tall enough on their own for 33's. Black2001TJ runs that setup and he sat about level with me after his install. At the time I was running 3" Tera coils and a 1" body lift. I'm more of a fan of the least amount of lift to clear the specific tire size. Depending on the type (if any) of wheeling you do, a lower center of gravity could be much more beneficial that having a ton of clearance in the fenderwells. Not to mention the benefits of street handling when cornering and what not. Here's a pic of his with the 3.5's and 33's...

SNOFRK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with TX and Whatwas… Having a BL is good and will help with things down the road. However 1" is all you really need.

You question about the lift size. That depends on what type of wheeling your going to do or plan to do. I put a 3 inch then had to upgrade to the 4" with 33" MTR. I still rub when fully flexed. Also because the spring compression was lower on the 3" lift I had to much body roll when off camber. I then to run a little heavy with tools and other stuff.
I would have a larger lift however I have less than 3/4" left in the garage. I now have size envy.

Do you have a SYE in yet? If not I'd do that first...
r
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: