Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gearing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: gearing Reply with quote

who feels like teaching me about gearing? Very Happy
Why you need to do it with bigger tires? Advantages? when so the advantages come into play? What do the numbers mean? How I know what I have?

Thanks
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears are used to increase or decrease speed of rotation. In regards to axles, they decrease the rotation of the tires in relation to the driveshaft. So, for example, if you have a 3.55:1 gear ratio, the tires spin 3.55 times everytime the driveshaft spins once.

As you go to bigger tires, the wheels have to turn less to cover the same distance...in other words, you will travel farther on one revolution of a 33" tire than you would on a 30" tire. The changes the RPM of the engine at a given speed. For example, using 3.55 gears at 55mph, a 30" tire will spin the engine at 2,181 RPM...but a 33" will spin the engine at 1,982 RPM. What you end up noticing is an apparent power loss.

Re-gearing brings the RPM range back up again, resorting the "lost" power. In the above case regearing to 3.90 or 4.10 would bring the RPM's back into the 2200 RPM range at 55 MPH.

Make sense?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
Gears are used to increase or decrease speed of rotation. In regards to axles, they decrease the rotation of the tires in relation to the driveshaft. So, for example, if you have a 3.55:1 gear ratio, the tires spin 3.55 times everytime the driveshaft spins once.

As you go to bigger tires, the wheels have to turn less to cover the same distance...in other words, you will travel farther on one revolution of a 33" tire than you would on a 30" tire. The changes the RPM of the engine at a given speed. For example, using 3.55 gears at 55mph, a 30" tire will spin the engine at 2,181 RPM...but a 33" will spin the engine at 1,982 RPM. What you end up noticing is an apparent power loss.

Re-gearing brings the RPM range back up again, resorting the "lost" power. In the above case regearing to 3.90 or 4.10 would bring the RPM's back into the 2200 RPM range at 55 MPH.

Make sense?

Well said! Mr. Green
nikon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you just explained that in a way I could understand it. that is not an easy task my friend. For this you get a gold star Very Happy

FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Drake69

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikon wrote:

LOLOL OMG!!!

I swear to God when I saw that pic... spit

That is classic!!! too funny

nikon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you all know how little I know about engines and such...you're doing something right if you can make me understnad what you're talkin about.

that and I was bored at work Mr. Green
FM2CDJC Member #10

MN Dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic's89XJ wrote:
thephantum wrote:

Make sense?

Well said! Mr. Green

I'm probably not much more knowlageable then Nikon, but wouldn't a 3.55:1 gear ratio mean, the tires spin once times everytime the driveshaft spins 3.55 times, not the other way arround?
99TJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MN Dave, you are correct. Your R & P are reduction gears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: