Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2001 XJ suspension suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirForceYooper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: 2001 XJ suspension suggestions Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I'm getting to the point where I'm seriously looking at suspension parts for my XJ. Before I buy, I would like opinions from those who have gone before me. I currently have adjustable coil spacers on the front adjusted to a little less than 2" and I have 3" worth of lift in the back but the factory springs have lost most of that from 4-wheeling. I've got 31" tires on it now and don't have a problem with it. Oh, I cut out the fenders when I bought the thing new. lol. You should have seen the folks at the auto hobby shop. lmao. Anyway, I've been going back and forth from 4.5" or so with 33" or 8" with 35" I like to off road. I'm a creaper. I don't rip through the woods trying to kill dear or anything. I've got weapons for that. I'd like a fully functional off road vehicle that still handles ok on the road. I don't know how long it will be before I buy a second car, but don't want to cheat myself on my Jeep. Rusty's offroad products had a pretty decent looking 8" system. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Eventually I'd like for the Jeep to be for weekends only. Either way, I'd like to build it right the first time. So please, any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 XJ suspension suggestions Reply with quote

AirForceYooper wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm getting to the point where I'm seriously looking at suspension parts for my XJ. Before I buy, I would like opinions from those who have gone before me. I currently have adjustable coil spacers on the front adjusted to a little less than 2" and I have 3" worth of lift in the back but the factory springs have lost most of that from 4-wheeling. I've got 31" tires on it now and don't have a problem with it. Oh, I cut out the fenders when I bought the thing new. lol. You should have seen the folks at the auto hobby shop. lmao. Anyway, I've been going back and forth from 4.5" or so with 33" or 8" with 35" I like to off road. I'm a creaper. I don't rip through the woods trying to kill dear or anything. I've got weapons for that. I'd like a fully functional off road vehicle that still handles ok on the road. I don't know how long it will be before I buy a second car, but don't want to cheat myself on my Jeep. Rusty's offroad products had a pretty decent looking 8" system. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Eventually I'd like for the Jeep to be for weekends only. Either way, I'd like to build it right the first time. So please, any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Some of the best advice I can give you is to stay away from Rustys. I hear much more bad stuff than good stuff about his products.

As a general rule 33's is the largest you want to go on a DD. My call would be to go with something like one of RE's 5.5" kits and 33's. When (or if) you want to go to 35's you can just slap the spacers back in the front and extended shackles in the back and net between 7" to 8" of lift. With that setup you could probably keep it pretty streetable...even sitting on 35's.

edit - You will also have to do an SYE with that setup...it's doubtfull that a t-case drop would help anything. Also, if you have a D35 in the rear, you have might have a problem on 35's unless you are very gentle on the skinny pedal.

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AirForceYooper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool, that sorta fits in with my original idea anyway. I already have the adjustable spacers in the front and as long as the springs are full spring packs I already have lift shackles too. I also planed on swapping the diffs and buying Auburn gears at some point. Probably not all at the same time. I'm pretty sure my front Axle is a Dana 30 and the rear is a Chrysler 8.25". Either way, the Auburns would work on both. Other than that, I'm still trying to track down a header. Banks makes one. I wanted Borla but theirs doesn't cover my Jeep. I e-mailed them and asked if the one they had would work for me and they said no. So, it looks like I'm stuck with Banks which may not be bad. Then I'll do the Borla cat back with the K&N intake which I already have and the airraid spacer. Then I was going to get the stage II chip upgrade and the oversized TBI. All over the course of time. I can't afford it all at once of course. But, the thing will be paid off in about a year and a half. I might buy the second car then. Not sure yet.
Huey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i have a 4.5" Rough Country lift i did not need a new sye, but with that said, many people have mixed feelings about rough country products, im getting my lift on this weekend so i really cant tell you much, fabtec makes a good 4" lift, as does Rubicon. You could prolly get the fabtec 4" and some cut out fenders and maybe squeeze 33's under there.

And like he said before you could defintly squeeze 33's under the 5.5" RE lift but a new sye would be needed, and maybe a new drive shaft, so that would set you back a good bit.

Huey(gained all my knowledge from these ppl on this board Mr. Green )
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what your saying about Rough Country, i myself have tough country made by the same company just different name kinda like Chevy and GMC anyway people were saying my lift would only get me 2 inches if i was lucky because it was so cheap...well they were wrong i got 3.5 inches probably a lil more...my father thinks i got a lil closer to four as do the neighbors up the road from his house....they instaled a tough country lift to clear 33s and they ended up puttin 35s on a blazer because the lift gave them the extra space....so the man with the xj if your lookin for a lift for a good price rough country or tough country make a good kit for the money...its not a rock crawler tho....there are kits that give more flex but i am happy with my lift now it flexes fine for my style
AirForceYooper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Michigan and plan to head back there once I get out of the Air Force. Off roading there is a good mix. A little like rock crawling at times, some pretty big mud holes not knowing whats underneath, swampy marshy stuff, etc. So I'd like to curtail my build to suite that environment. I'm not sure if it would be better to go with a little lower lift and slightly smaller tires to keep a better center of gravity or a taller lift with bigger tires to gain more ground clearence and sacrifice some center of gravity. 31s are nice, but while in Texas there were some spots I wanted to go that I never go to. So I know I want at least 33s. I don't think anything I did in Texas is out of the realm of Michigan. Infact, I'd say Michigan is a tougher place to 4x4 because not only is the terrain just as rough, half of it is under water. Also, spring packs for Jeeps ... I only seem to find 4.5" rear spring packs or smaller. Does anybody offer any alternatives? If I was to go to more than 4.5" of lift, I'd prefer to have the rear all spring and no blocks or shackle compensation. I think. Would that be correct?
quadna71

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's your afsc? i was stationed at ki sawyer for 3-4 years long ago. best tour of my life Smile we usually wheeled over around goose lake - 10 miles or so south of marquette.
chris

p.s. RE is a good start to redo the suspension...reliable parts, readily available for decent price from bob supplee, and upgradeable in the future. Smile
AirForceYooper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Public Affairs. I wish I could crosstrain but they'll never let me. Too undermanned. Oh well. As long as I have my Jeep and gas money, I'm straight. I've been checking out a lot of pics on cardomain.com and I'm liking the way 35s look on the cherokee. I've already cut out the wheel wells so I'm thinking an RE5.5" lift. I can reuse the 1.5" of block I've got in the rear now and adjust the arcos in the front a little extra and should round out about 6 to 6.5" of lift. If I could come up with 5.5" spring packs for the rear, I could reuse the lift shackles I put on it when I bought it. But, I'm starting to really learn toward the 35s. Any comments or concerns?
Huey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4.5" RC and im gonna run 32's, i got ab 2in of sag in the back so i was thinking about getting blocks for the back, but now ive heard that they can really warp your lift.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shackles
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: