Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

under jeep -disconected thingy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joyrider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: under jeep -disconected thingy Reply with quote

can anybody tell me anything about this? my jeeps been this way since i got it (i think). it drives fine, but it just dosn't look right to me.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287841863&congratulation_page=Y

thanks.
-kyla
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front sway bay. The link broke...

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Owen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats you sway bar... this should definitely be connected on the street. Looks like the link is missing.
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved this to gen. tech to help others and get tech answers. Yup, looks like the sway bar, you want that connected on the road, especially when you're above 30mph...
joyrider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does that entail to fix? is it something my dad or bf can do at home ( w/ normal tools?) where can I get parts?

thanks.
-kyla
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sway bar helps to prevent excessive body roll when cornering...especially at speed. You definatley need to get that fixed.

My advice would be to either go to a boneyard and get a link off a junker or (especially if you wheel) pick up a set of quick disconnects (JKS makes good ones). It's fairly easy to fix with hand tools.

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Owen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ask on here... I think I might have my stock ones laying around at my parents house... I will look later today and see if I can find them.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably go with discos. It's something that you will eventually want to do if you want better flex on the trail. Check eBay.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qadhafi wrote:
I'd probably go with discos. It's something that you will eventually want to do if you want better flex on the trail. Check eBay.

Yeah, but if she's at stock height now and goes with a lift later, she may need to buy new one's because these'd be too short.

Use this as an excuse to buy a lift and disco's Wink Mr. Green .
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ya there. If someone will give her used stock links then I don't see a problem. As far as buying a used set of discos go if she can find a set of used 0" discos at a reasonable price then she can definately get most of her money out of them when she wants to lift.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
brandy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at stock height, unless youdrive like it's a porche...ya don't need em.
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, Brandy, you just don't run 'em ever, do you? Have you even created a mount for them? Wait, didn't you remove the bar itself? Mr. Green
joyrider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everybody,

yea i've been driving it this way since i bought it (a year ago). I havn't noticed any problems. But then again, I have nothing to compare it too. I drive my jeep pretty safe, and yes it is stock height.

Does it provide for better offroading if they are disconnected? Should I just leave them like that untill I get a suspension lift?

thanks
-kyla
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnecting the front axle will help offroad a bit since the axle will now move more and tend to keep the tires in contact with terra firma. There is a possiblity of too much flex where it'd be considered useless, but at stock height and with the stock length shocks it shouldn't be an issue for you. Possible damage to the OEM shock might occur if it's overflexed though. About the disco'd street use. I've driven home from the trail already with the front end not connected and consider myself fortunate that nothing happened. As much as I might try to make sure I'm driving safely and being cautious, I can't guarantee that everyone around me will be driving the same. Rather than risking the need to make emergency manuevers while disconnected, I bolt them back up before it hit's the asphalt. Not trying to start an arguement about street use, but personally, I'd rather have my front end connected as precautions against the moron in the '84 Sentra that might pull out in front of me at an intersection Wink .
brandy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok drak...your gonna make me have to post that I have a set of teraflex discos...still attaced to the anti-sway bar that I threw in the back of the comanshee...40 bucks takes em.

Brandy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: