Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TJ 31" tire rumor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
badtj05

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: TJ 31" tire rumor Reply with quote

yea, I'm a newbie, 05 wrangler se from pa. First of all, read the FAQ for newbies, but still a question. Wanted to go to 31"s, but my local shops are saying they'll rub in the wells when I turn, so will 30's. Here in pa, that's illegal and it will fail inspection. I asked about backspacing or washers between the stops, they said washers are illegal and no one will do the backspacing. Based on what I've heard from you guys, i'd like to go with the 31's, but don't want to spend the cash and find out it won't work, also want to avoid a lift/ new wheels. The dealer says the sahara's stocked with 30's, and there's no difference in the base. So it should work. Anyone gone with 31's on a stock model and have no problems with rubbing? Also, if i go to 31's keeping the stock wheels and suspension, how will it act on the trail?
Jerry Bransford

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, stock unlifted Rubicons come with 31" tires and if your local shops say they'll rub on your TJ which is the same Jeep and lift height, they're wrong. IF a 31" tire rubs which only happens when the steering wheel is turned all the way one way or the other, a single washer under each of two steering stop bolts will cure it. It may not even rub, not all do. A 31" tire won't rub anywhere else. You can use the stock wheels with a 31x10.50 tire.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's pretty right, I had 31's on my stock TJ which is also an se and never had a problem. Now it's grown a little and has bigger tires! You'll be fine!

My Morning Jacket
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

31x10.5 will fit on a stock Jeep.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with all above. I had 31's on my stock 02 TJ and no problem. If they rub just adjust the steering stops by putting a washer behind them.

And yes the Rubicons have 31's under them from the factory with the same factory height as all the other models.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
badtj05

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to know as a follow up if any of you know off hand what size washers i'd be putting behind those stops. I'm plannin' on gettin some Bridgestone Dueler M/T's, if anyone cares. Anyways, thanks again, you guys are awesome!!!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/4 inch washers is what I used on my ZJ...

And for the record I had 31's on my ZJ and no lift...

(But I rubbed like hell.. Mr. Green )

And you can buy rims anywhere with 4" of backspacing and I am clearing 35X12.5's now without rubbing..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that ya got the tire question figured out, only other advice is to find a new tire shop Mr. Green . Seriously, alot of places won't deal with anything that isn't in their book of recommended tire sizes for whatever model it be. Chances are that most of these 'guides' don't list a Rubicon's 31" tire for an SE, so they won't touch it because if it isn't in the book, gawd knows it won't work Rolling Eyes ......anyways, like I said, get a new shop.
Jerry Bransford

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell the shop it's a Jeep Rubicon, they'll never know the difference. Wink
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, washers in the steering stops is illegal in a lot of states...it is here in VA. Since PA is even more Nazi about that stuff, I'm sure it is there too.

From http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-110

Quote:

Inspect for and reject if:

3. Any modification has been made to the front end suspension which reduces turning radius, bypasses safety components of original steering mechanism or if there is any lateral movement between the axle and frame.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jerry Bransford

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
Also, washers in the steering stops is illegal in a lot of states...it is here in VA. Since PA is even more Nazi about that stuff, I'm sure it is there too.

From http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-110

Quote:

Inspect for and reject if:

3. Any modification has been made to the front end suspension which reduces turning radius, bypasses safety components of original steering mechanism or if there is any lateral movement between the axle and frame.
Since a washer is already welded onto the steering stop bolt, adding one more that matches it and then painting that area well ahead of the inspection so it can get a normal coating of grime on it will get it past the inspector. This is not exactly something that the Jeep's steering stop bolt wasn't designed for already. Some laws are just not appropriate for all vehicles and that's one of them.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Bransford wrote:
Tell the shop it's a Jeep Rubicon, they'll never know the difference. Wink

rofl Your probably right

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Bransford wrote:
Since a washer is already welded onto the steering stop bolt, adding one more that matches it and then painting that area well ahead of the inspection so it can get a normal coating of grime on it will get it past the inspector. This is not exactly something that the Jeep's steering stop bolt wasn't designed for already. Some laws are just not appropriate for all vehicles and that's one of them.

Very true. But regardless of whether or not it's a stupid law (which it is), the point is to be aware of the local laws in regards to modifications of a vehicle prior to actually installing the mods on yer Jeep. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda like the extended flare no-no, yet tires need to be covered here thing. Ya try and do the right thing and keep the tires under the flares and get nabbed for having 6" flares Rolling Eyes . Pity of all it is that most of these regs are pushed thru due to a single type of persisting problem and then all vehicles get lumped into the mess. I can guarantee ya that a Jeep running 6" flares wasn't responsible for the enactment of this regulation........don't get me started about the DOT'zi's here Mr. Green .
badtj05

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you do about the 6" flares thing, cuz (i'm from pa too) that it's also illegal, but i kinda need to cover up the tires. nazi retards. So what do I do ? And again, what do i do with the spacing on the stops for the wheels, so that i pass inspection in pa? I was planning on just getting 1/4 or 5/16 wheel spacers, but apparently they're illegal too. Sounds like washers are the way to go. Find a friendly shop? anyone know one in pittsburgh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: