Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Rear and why? (looking to upgrade if mine breaks)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best rearend for moderate to extreme forrest trails?
Dana35
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dana44
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Dana60
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Chrysler 8.25
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Ford 8.8"
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Ford 9"
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 19

Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Best Rear and why? (looking to upgrade if mine breaks) Reply with quote

^title
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, forgot to mention, I have the D35 with 3.07s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive the "best" rear axle you could get without going completely overboard would be a hi-pinion 9" rear with disc brakes. Next to that, I'd go with the 8.8
The 8.8 is probably the easier of any to install.

Chuck
kitesurferinva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tx Outlaw wrote:
I belive the "best" rear axle you could get without going completely overboard would be a hi-pinion 9" rear with disc brakes. Next to that, I'd go with the 8.8
The 8.8 is probably the easier of any to install.

Chuck

x2...

I currently have the stock 30/35 combo on my 98, but I am upgrading my rear to this setup come spring, and moving up to a Dana 44 front. Going to regear with 4.56's and some sort of lockers (yet to be determined).
Kitesurferinva -98 TJ 2" BB, 1" BL, Big Daddy Rocker Guards, Custom front bumper, SKBpro rear bumper w/ spare tire swing out carrier, 33x12.5 BFG MT's on 15x10 AR Outlaw II's, 2 Hella lights, warn engine and diff skids, Kilby steering skid
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x3

that is if money isnt an object. A custom Ford 9" axle made to fit the Jeep are unbeatable. They are that tough, and plentiful, and have zillions of parts available for them.

Ford hasnt made the 9" in many years but they are a dime a dozen at junkyards. They are still used as a base for the rear ends in Nextel Cup cars. All race teams no matter what car brand use the 9" ford rear.

Another overlooked rear is the mini 8" ford rear that was a slightly smaller version of the 9". It was commonly used in the Mustang II series and under V6 Pinto's. I dont remember the exact width, but with very little work these could be stuffed under a Jeep.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dana 60...cuz if you cant break it...i can and if i break a 60 i have broken something and i can officially have the name "Doctor Destructo" Mr. Green
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolup Thanks for all of the input, you've definitely made me aware of choices I havn't thought of yet thumbs
Jasper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're running big tires I'd go with the D60... stronger than the Ford 9" (the can of worms is now open) and parts for the 60 are plentiful. But if you're running 33's or smaller clearance is an issue and the cost of building the larger rear ends is more... over kill. For Jeeps, 33's or 35's, the D44 or the 8.8 are plenty tough, both offer lots of after market gears and lockers (maybe more options with the 44) and you don't have that huge pumpkin hangin on the rocks.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say .. Unless you are running bigger than 35's You dont want anything but an 8.8.. The houseing on a 60 will drag on speed bumps if you dont have 37's. Mr. Green

I do know a guy who put a 14 bolt on with 33's.. It was funny.. Here is this damn near undesturctable axle sitting abot 3" from the ground.. rofl

He was just transporting it home where his bigger tires where but it was pretty funny....

Anyway.. for Mild to moderate tires. the 8.8 is all you need..

And they are by far the cheapest of all the others...

Boneyards around here have 8.8's with LS and Disk brakes for $250 complete with rotors and they will even cut the driveshaft if you ask and you will already have aflange yolk bolted on the axle.. Mr. Green

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, cool, thanks for all of the responses....

...Now, does someone wanna help me tear up my 35? Twisted Evil
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I lived in Virginia.. I could break that thing in no time..

We could put my tires on it and climb the first rock we see...A little gas pedal and a 35 will snap those shafts quick... rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime there's something dealing with breaking, or cutting, or a combination of the two....Swamp Boy will be there rofl
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, are ya going on the JH LBL trip?

You can help me snap the shafts there Wink ...but uh....I need to be able to get back home, haha.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

want me to break it? Mr. Green
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have 33's on a D35 and haven't broke?? Pray tell!

You might want to think about the limited slip option in the rear axle tho. I'd shy away from it so you can add a better drop-in unit - unless you're considering something along the lines of a detroit, electrac, ARB, or other carrier/locker.

Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: