Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Rear and why? (looking to upgrade if mine breaks)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best rearend for moderate to extreme forrest trails?
Dana35
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dana44
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Dana60
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Chrysler 8.25
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Ford 8.8"
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Ford 9"
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 19

Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope...still going strong!! Mr. Green -knock on wood-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
88greenxj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had 33s on my 35 for two years without problems had it welded for awhile even took it to tellico last july
99TJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't even consider huge axles because of the expense and size/weight, in addition to other reasons. So the D60, 14-bolts, Rockwells and what not aren't even in the competition. That's just me.

So, it is down to the 8.8/9" vs. D44.

I am assuming you have a TJ, because your name is Stevo02TJ. I would be very surprised if you found a junkyard 8.8/9" with upper/lower control arm mounts, shock mounts, spring pads, sway bar end link mounts, and a trac bar mount all setup for a TJ.

So, are you planning on cutting all your suspension brackets off your current rearend, then locating and welding them on the Ford axle? (after you cut off the OEM Ford brackets too, of course) Are you going to do that yourself or pay someone? Either way, there is a considerable investment in the bracketry whether it is money you give to someone or time and consumables you are going to spend doing it yourself. Also factor in the price of the brackets if you're going to buy new ones.

Sounds like a lot of work to me, when you could get a D44 housing that would bolt up. If you had leaf springs, and the only brackets that needed to be moved/modified were the spring perches and shock mounts that would be a different story. So, unless you have a really good reason that you want to use a Ford axle and go through the extra trouble, just get a 44.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99TJ wrote:
So, are you planning on cutting all your suspension brackets off your current rearend, then locating and welding them on the Ford axle? (after you cut off the OEM Ford brackets too, of course) Are you going to do that yourself or pay someone? Either way, there is a considerable investment in the bracketry whether it is money you give to someone or time and consumables you are going to spend doing it yourself. Also factor in the price of the brackets if you're going to buy new ones.

Sounds like a lot of work to me, when you could get a D44 housing that would bolt up. If you had leaf springs, and the only brackets that needed to be moved/modified were the spring perches and shock mounts that would be a different story. So, unless you have a really good reason that you want to use a Ford axle and go through the extra trouble, just get a 44.

Hmm...I think I'd take the larger, thicker tubes in an 8.8, the "free" upgrade to rear disc brakes, larger shafts, huge (relative) R&P, and stronger axle brackets in the aftermarket kits.

Not saying the D44 is a bad idea. It is a great base to start from when you don't have the ability or access to the services needed to swap in an 8.8. Doing a cost comparison, the 8.8 almost always comes out a bit cheaper in the end when you factor in the disc brake upgrade. The rear TJ 44 housings are $500 on its own...then add in all the other components you'll need. In the end, the swap comes down to how much work you want to do personally.
99TJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a marginal increase in strength if you go with the Ford. It's hard to decide about the shafts, without getting into specifics. It's apparently possible to outfit the 8.8 with everything from 27 spline to 40 spline, and the 44 from 30 spline to 35 spline. Both axles can now be found with OEM disc brakes.

Does the Ford Explorer rear end have the same track width as the TJ?
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99TJ wrote:
There is a marginal increase in strength if you go with the Ford. It's hard to decide about the shafts, without getting into specifics. It's apparently possible to outfit the 8.8 with everything from 27 spline to 40 spline, and the 44 from 30 spline to 35 spline. Both axles can now be found with OEM disc brakes.

Does the Ford Explorer rear end have the same track width as the TJ?

The Explorer 8.8 is 3/4" more narrow...about 3/8" per side.

Yes, rear discs are available OE for both housings. Price out what it'll cost for a D44 with rear discs and what you can get an 8.8 from a yard for.

Used TJ 44s are $800 roughly. Disc brakes are $300 roughly. $1100 right from the start.
Used Explorer 8.8s are $250 roughly. Discs included. Brackets are $200, and another $250 for welding/setup. $700, rough estimate.

If you want to increase the spline count on that 44 to make it better than an 8.8, it's going to start getting really expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: