Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

31x10.5 or 32x11.5 on sahara w/ 2" BB

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJSahara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: 31x10.5 or 32x11.5 on sahara w/ 2" BB Reply with quote

If I got the 11.5's on my sahara will they stick out a lot? I dont want the tire to stick out at all but a tad is fine since I live in PA. I will eventually get flares but not for sometime since they are like 400.00.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sahara flares are 1" larger than the Sport/SE flares. This will be the least of your worries though if you have stock wheels. The stock Sahara wheels have too much backspacing and you'll have potential issues rubbing the control arms in the front when turned and the rear spring perches in the rear. The spring perches are more of a concern because they will slice your new tires.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of wheels are you running? If you have the factory 15x8's, they'll be completely covered by the flares (Sahara's have the 1" wider flare than
Sport's, SE's, and X's). I used to run 15x8's with 3.75" backspacing and 11.50's with Sahara flares and they stuck out about an inch or so beyond the flare....which may get flagged depending on how things are in your part of the state.
TJSahara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running the stock 15x8 canyon wheels. So im assuimng i can only get 32's if I get different wheels? 31's will not rub on control arms on stock wheels?
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik types faster than me Wink . The problems with the factory wheels can easily be solved by a couple solutions. Re-centering the axles after the lift, rear relocation bracket and front adjustable trackbar or leaving the axles where they are and taking a grinder to the upper rear spring perches. Either way you'll still want to add washers to the front steering stops to prevent rubbing the the LCA's at full turn. I grinded my perches so my 12.50's will fit without the wheel spacers when I have to remove them without issue.
TJSahara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i have to get new wheels? I would rather just get 31's on stock wheels
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32x11.50's, factory Canyon's (no spacers), and I believe a 2.5" OME lift...

The kit comes with a rear trackbar bracket, I don't think he was running an adjustable front if I remember correct. It's doable, just takes a little extra work.
TJSahara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does the rear trakcbar braket make the tires not rub o nthe control arms? maybe ill just get 31x10.5's, i heard they will fit stock with no prob.
badtj05

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJSahara,

I've been buggin these guys about the same issue for a while now. I've got an '05 se, want bigger tires, naturally. From what I've gathered, I'm goin' to 31x 10.5's and getting rubicon flares, so I don't stick out. I don't see how that reallly helps you though. As far as rubbing on the front, I've heard in another forum that there's a tensioning screw somewhere on the front control arms that you can tighten to limit the turning. If it works, then it would be the same effect as washers, just that it's legal. If that doesn't work, I'll probably go with washers. Wink
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear trackbar relocation bracket recenters the axle after a lift is installed. Any time you go bigger, the axle will shift to one side with the coil sprung TJ's. While this will create more room on one side, it draws the tire dangerously close to the perch on the opposing side (well, depending on the backspacing will determine how 'dangerous'). These brackets put the axle back where it should be and then everything is spaced properly. Problem after this is the width of the tires. An 11.50 will fit, but should have the perches grinded down a bit for peace of mind. Remember that when the axle flexes, it isn't gonna go straight up and down, it will travel in an arc, so extra room will be required to eliminate contact during wheeling. The front adjustable trackbar does the same thing basically, but it's an entire replacement piece that can be made to work with a number of varying heights. At the size you're looking at, the front could be skipped and simply addressed with the washer/steering stop solution. No garage is gonna notice this mod unless you chrome the washers and keep them polished so they stick out like a sore thumb Wink .
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "tension screw" on the front control arms that will limit the degree of turning in the front axle.

An inspection should would have to be extremely anal to notice a washer or two under the steering stops.

Quit worrying about it and do it. You'll be fine.
TJSahara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I got the 32's and 1-1/4" wheels spacers, wouldnt that make my front tires stick out more than the back ones?
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you got a set of spacers exclusively for the front Wink . Don't think of spacers as a seperate item, think of your Canyons now having 4.25" of backspacing rather than 5.5". It's no different than buying new wheels, if you bought a set of wheels with 4.25"bs, they'd all protrude the same distance from the hub. Make more sense?
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJSahara wrote:
If I got the 32's and 1-1/4" wheels spacers, wouldnt that make my front tires stick out more than the back ones?

Yes, in this situation, the front would stick out more than the rear. You're supposed to run the spacers on both axle though...so you'd have the same width regardless.
TJSahara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so If i got new wheels, would I need 15x8 with how much backspacing so the 32's dont rub? I found some that have 3.75, is that enough and will my tires stick out more than before?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: