Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

97 CHEROKEE LIMITED KEEPS HEATING UP & COOLING DOWN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepOzStyle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: 97 CHEROKEE LIMITED KEEPS HEATING UP & COOLING DOWN Reply with quote

Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum and hope someone can shed some light on this strange problem.
I recently purchased a 97 Cherokee Limited and after a few days I had a coolant leak from the top radiator hose where it clamps onto the thermostat housing.
I fixed the leak by cutting of a bit of hose and reclamping it on.
From this point on the temperature would go from normal operating temp whilst driving but would creep up whenever in traffic and stopping at the lights the thermo fan would then start trying to keep the temp down.
Once driving again the temp would come down to normal operating temp.
My first thought was there is air in the system from me fixing the hose.
I had a full system flush from an authorised Jeep servicing dealer but after some more driving the problem still remained.
I returned to the service dept and they said the radiator is probably blocked and needed cleaning. This led to them removing the radiator and getting it checked and it was found to be cracked and non repairable.
A new radiator, thermostat and another sytem flush had me up and running again.
Guess what...same problem but this time it will stay stable at normal operating temp for up to 1/2 an hour before starting to creep up again and the thermo fan starts working.
I returned to the service dept again and was told that the system had been totally checked and pressure tested and this was normal practice for the temperature to fluctuate like this.
At no point has the engine overheated but this dancing temp worries me.
Can anyone shed some light please.I would forever be your debt.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What temeratures does it vary between? It should normally stay right around 210 with very little variance.

The one thing that has not been mentioned is the viscous fan clutch. It engages the mechanical fan based on ambeint temperature. If the clutch is bad, the mechanical fan might not engage fully or at all...which might explain why the temperature is fine when you are moving but climbs up in traffic or when stopped.

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JeepOzStyle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Temperatures Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks to such a quick reply.

I am in Australia so my gauge is in celsius.
100 degrees is in the middle of the gauge and when it runs normal it is just under this mark(about low 90's around 205-210 Farenheight)
It will then creep up to as high as the 3/4 mark on the gauge before cooling down( around 220-240 farenheight)

The main fan seems to be working at all times.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mech. fan could appear to be turning but is not engaging fully. When mine started to run hot, I replaced the radiator, thermostat, water pump and viscous fan clutch. I immediatly noticed that, with the new clutch, the fan was pulling much more air across the radiator at idle and I have yet to hit 95C (205 F)...even in traffic.

The clutch is not that expensive, around $30 USD. The only other thing I can think of would be a bad temperature sending unit. But based on the symptoms you describe I kind of doubt it....it sounds like more of an actual cooling problem.

You are correct, the gauge should not go to the 3/4 mark, it should be right in the middle. If the cooling system is working correctly, the temperature should not vary more than 5C or 6C (10 or so F).

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JeepOzStyle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your input.
I will put this to the service dept and see if they can test the clutch in any way or just outright replace it.

One thing is Jeep parts here in Australia are quite expensive.
A new radiator cost me $550 AUD (@$412 US) and that was without labour costs.
The whole bill for Radiator,Thermostat,Top hose, Flush & Coolant & Labour came to over $1000 AUD.

You can see why I am a bit pissed about the whole situation.
Thanks Again
Rob
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would be a bit pissed myself.

Did the radiator come from the dealer? If so, that's why we call them "stealerships"...

Quote:
JeepOzStyle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: STEALERSHIP Reply with quote

Yes, it did come from the dealership, but wait until you hear this.
The place that repairs the radiators offered me a non genuine new replacement for $560 Aus.
The dealership had quoted me $630 AUD for a new genuine radiator.
I told this to the dealership and all of a sudden their new genuine radiator dropped down to the a "if I got it off them special one time price of $550 AUD".An amazing instant $80 price drop. It just goes to show how much they are really making.

I will get the fan checked out.
Strangely enough I took the jeep past a mechanic shop near my work on the way home last night with your fan clutch theory in mind.
I explained to the guy all the work I had done in the past 3 days but didnt mention the fan.
He had a quick look at it and the first thing he said was "Oh look a mechanical fan" He then let the motor run and revved it at different levels for a few minutes keeping his hand near the fan to see if it was doing what it was meant to. He said he would have to test it so I have booked it in with him next week.
I will keep you posted.
Cheers
Rob
JeepOzStyle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Fan Clutch Reply with quote

Just got a price for a Viscous Fan Clutch.....$265 AUD
Thats just for the part labour is not included Shocked Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: