Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super35 kit Q's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJSahara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Super35 kit Q's Reply with quote

I have the D35 rear axle. I have heard that getting a Super35 kit is a waste of money if you want to run tires larger than 33's. They say to just get a D44. Which is best? I dont think I wanna spend over 2 G's for an axle.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8.8 is cheap and reliable Wink that's the way I am going.

find one off a ford explorer and you get disc brakes

"...as long as it was from an Explorer, not an F-150, Explorer SportTrac, Ford Ranger, or Crown Vic. The Explorer 8.8s are slight more narrow than a stock YJ/TJ rear axle....about 3/4"-1" total for a difference of 3/8"-1/2" per side. The 95+ Explorer 8.8 use rear disc brakes...kinda a bonus upgrade for free." -ehirner

I've heard of them for around $400 or less thumbs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big do you plan to go with your tires?

The Super 35 kit is way better than stock for running up to 33's. Many have gone that route with good results. I f your planing an 33+ then maybe a D44 or the ford 8.8 will work best.

The Ford 8.8 is a great axle and you can get the rear discs on them which is another big bonus. Bigger stronger brakes come in handy trying to stop vastly heavier meats than the stock 29/30's. They are plentiful in junkyards. Biggest drawback is the amount of fabrication that goes with mounting this rear to your TJ. It is by no means a direct bolt up. There is alot of welding required. And you have to be fairly precise with were the brackets are located. Just a couple degree difference from one side to the other will create on road handling issues.

The D44 can also be found in many salvage yards. Most that I have seen get a little more money than some of the more common axles. So hunt around a bit. If D44 you find comes out of a TJ then It will bolt right in. Its just a matter of going threw it and probably doing a brake job and some basic preventive maintenece prior to swapping it in. Other than that its just a matter of making sure that the rear gears match the fronts.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: