Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1996 Cherokee Sport 4.0L spark plug wire resistance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmeseadoin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: 1996 Cherokee Sport 4.0L spark plug wire resistance Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I am curious as to whether anyone on this site knows what the resistance should be, in ohms, of the spark plug wires in a 1996 XJ Cherokee Sport 4.0Litre? I am troubleshooting a general miss that the engine intermittently has and the symptomology is as follows:

When cold, the engine starts fine and will intermittently (not always by any means) develop a slight miss that can be audibly heard in the exhaust more than anything else. This morning I fired it and allowed it to run to warm up before driving to work. When I walked past the rear end after coming from the house to get in the Jeep, I heard a miss in my ehaust intermittently and noticed that the yellow CEL had illuminated on the dash cluster to the left of the spedo cluster. I immediately plugged in my obd II auto xray and pulled the codes that a cylinder #1 and #4 as well as a multiple cylinder misfire had occured. Makes sense.

I just bought the truck and it runs great. I just bought it over a week ago and it's got 218,000 interstate miles on it and is in remarkable shape. The truck runs extremely well but just developed this slight miss this morning. I noticed the cap (prolly rotor) and wires have all been replaced at some point....but I am going to start with a general tune up to include "cap/rotor/wires and plugs, maybe a coil for S's and G's.. It runs great and when you stab the throttle you can clear the mis-fire condition. Once it warms it does not happen. Maybe all it needs is plugs, they are prolly worn or have build up on them.

So, if anyone has resistance specs for the plug wires, I'd appreciate it. I want to check those and see what I got to determine if they might benifit from replacement. I could swap them with the new ones I have on my '95 XJ and see what that does too. Thanks for the help! Very Happy
'95 XJ Sport 5 spd 4L 4dr 4x4,'96 XJ Sport 5spd 4L 2dr 4x4,'96 Pontiac G/A 4dr auto 2.4L 4-cyl,'76 Buick Electra 225 Ltd 4dr h/t with vinyl 7.5L 455 V8 auto,'02 Pontiac T/A Ram Air WS6 Hurst 6-spd 5.7L V-8 2DR w/T-tops,'96 SeaDoo GSX.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resistance is determined by the quality and type of materials that the wire manufactures use when they make them.

Generally low grade cheap wires that can be purchased from one of the big parts places will have higher resistance than the high end wires from Accel or Taylor or any of the ones that are well insulated and use a decent core wire.

What you want is low as you can get and still be in a reasonable price range. The real high end low resistance wires can run $125+ a set. I personally wouldnt spend that much on a 10 yo vehicle with 218k miles on it. MSD makes a nice set for your model. Summit racing has them as well as the Accels.

Im sorry Im not answering your question directly but if there is a defintive resistance answer, which I doubt there is, it most likely will give a range that works...which will be huge from low to high.

HTH

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops something I forgot to add rofl

The resistance range that is common to any vehicle manufacture is anywhere from 1000 to 4000 ohms per foot. Lower is better. Voltage takes the path of least resistance.

Something also to avoid are whats called non-resistance plug wires. Using them creats all sorts of problems for your sound system or radio.

Last edited by WhatWasIThinkin on Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd's right, except I think he typoed...in general it's 1000 to 4000 Ohms per foot. I'll check the FSM to see if it has the specific rating and letcha know. I know my next set will be MSD Super Conductors. They have very low resistance, high EMI surpression as well as high resitance to heat. I've run them on the Camaro for years and love 'em.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yuppers...I fixed it Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: