Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestone Destination MT ?s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Firestone Destination MT ?s Reply with quote

Anyone familiar with these

Firestone Destination MT

They are getting great reviews at the Tire Rack. At $139 for 285/75R16, that price sounds real good for a brand name MT.

Ive been thinking about putting on TrXus MT's this spring, but these look real good and seem to be high rated all around.

Thanks
Todd

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Firestone Destination MT ?s Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:

Ive been thinking about putting on TrXus MT's this spring, but these look real good and seem to be high rated all around.

I'd go with the Trxus MTs personally. I've never liked Firestone tires...even before the whole Ford Exploder thing. Just something about them that I didn't like. I can't explain it.

I really think you'll be more than happy with the Trxus MTs. The only thing I don't like is how much weight they take to balance. But I can deal with a little vibration at speed coming from the tires out of balance.
TellyDSP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran/running firestone AT's, and I personally didn't like the wet weather handling of them. They got me through anything, and they were great on dry pavement, but they slid badly on wet blacktop. Skidded very easily alos. If you're looking for a cheap MT with great reviews, check out the Kumho MT. I plan on getting these when $ fits, and at $100/piece for 33x1250's the price can't be beat. I know a couple people that run them and love them, and if you read the tire rack reviews, they're all great.

Craig

'04 Black Mica Mazda3
wanderlust

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any comments on how the Kuhmo MT's handle on wet pavement?

I'm hoping to get 33 x 12.5's this spring, and I'm looking around now. I've had different MT's recommended, as they are great "off-highway", but then everyone says they suck in the rain unless you get them siped. Anyone know of a good MT that will handle well on-road as well, including rain and snow? Or is aftermarket siping the only answer?

TIA
Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd, I know that they are pricer, but I really enjoy the MT'R's! I think that they handle great in rain/snow/even on the ice that we had this past weekend. Great on the rocks and mud.

My Morning Jacket
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderlust wrote:
Any comments on how the Kuhmo MT's handle on wet pavement?

I'm hoping to get 33 x 12.5's this spring, and I'm looking around now. I've had different MT's recommended, as they are great "off-highway", but then everyone says they suck in the rain unless you get them siped. Anyone know of a good MT that will handle well on-road as well, including rain and snow? Or is aftermarket siping the only answer?

TIA
Paul

Ive heard great things about the Kuhmo MT as far as a real good all around tire. They have been one of my conciderations for purchase. I have moved a couple ahead of them. The only reason being availability. No one in New England has them as far as I can find and would have to have them shipped. Should I have a warentee problem then that would lead to major hassles to get solved. Should I find a more local dealer, then they may go back to the top of my list.

Todd
Smile

WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithtj wrote:
Todd, I know that they are pricer, but I really enjoy the MT'R's! I think that they handle great in rain/snow/even on the ice that we had this past weekend. Great on the rocks and mud.

Price isnt that much of a factor so the MT/R's or BFG MT's arent to pricey for me.

My problem with MT/R's is that I allready have them and dont like them for the type of offroading I do. They are also the worst slick/icey condition tire that I have ever run. For dry conditions or dry pavement there great. But add water/ice/mud to the mix and they just dont do as well.

So far with all the searches Ive done on many other Jeep boards, plus comments here, I keep ending up with the TrXus MT's as my best bet for what I want in an offroad tire, plus decent on road manners, plus realy good snow/ice manners.

So right now they are #1 on my list.

Thanks for the responces.
Todd
Smile

Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had the same problem with them, but then again you get much more winter weather than I do. I also realized that you had them after I posted because you drive a rubi

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: