Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

buying ? let me pick your brain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HUH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: buying ? let me pick your brain Reply with quote

Hi everyone Im a newb

ok I dont own an xj yet but I am in the process of buying one (plan to buy one in the next couple weeks. just wondering what I should be looking for or looking out for? Also I plan on lifting it been reading in on it and I think i am going with the RE 3.5 with the leafsprings its like part # 6030 or somethin like that, also geeting ome shocks and a TC drop anything else I might need this is going to be my daily driver I will be muddin on the weekends

(oh yea this will be my first 4wheel drive vehicle actually ive never even drove off-road only rode a couple of times wish me luck)

All comments will be greatly appreciated
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUH- What?

Welcome to the forum. If you are looking to get an XJ there are several options that are going to be in front of you. First you should try to get one with a 4.0, then look for either the D35 or Chrysler 8.25 - those are both good rear ends (8.25 is better though!)
Then look at T-Case's... the one you will want is the NP231 (which is in most all of them anyways) so if you can get those options on one - you'll be doing good.

Lifts are another story. I have the Rubicon Express 3.5" on mine with 31's and I like it fine. Its not big enough to suite me yet, but that will change soon. Heres what it looks like..

I also have the 1" T-case drop to keep the drivelines in check.

Look around in the Cherokee XJ section and read some of the articles and write ups. You will learn a great deal from them. If you have any questions just post them here or in the appropriate section. We are here to help...
CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
HUH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanxs corey

actually I am pretty much building her to be like yours rims and all. cant go wrong with black. also was wondering how difficult the lift will be to install like is there any special tools I need or Is there any added extra cost to be expecting as far as parts that do not come with the lift or anything that needs to be done by a shop (pressing cutting and wielding)

Also if there is anything Im missing that is essential to off-roading
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lift itself is not too terribly hard to install if you have a good set of tools. If you have a fold-up tool kit from Home Depot you will find yourself cursing a lot. You will need spring compressors (strut style) to make it easier on getting the old springs out and putting the new LARGER ones in. You will need drilling equipment for trac-bar relocation, and expect to have problems with the rear shocks. You should have a tap and dye set on hand (3/8" would be good) Its not a question of "if" you will break the upper shock bolts, its how many of them are you going to break (I broke 3) Look here Shocks There isn't anything that you would have to have a shop do unless you just didn't feel like messing with it. If you do put the lift on yourself, ask a friend to help - its much easier.
If you get a lift "kit" then you will probably get everything you need to get the job done. I would also go ahead and do the T-Case drop while you have your tools out. Look here T-Case to see how to do that - Its real easy.

Tow hooks are esential for off-roading. If you plan to go soon, then get your self a front tow hook, and a rear one. My front tow hook is one on a factory bracket. For the rear I used a d-ring combined with a trailer hitch.

This works very well and I have used it many, many times (especially in the recent snow storm)

Thats about it and if you need anything else just ask
- CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
bonestajker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would get a 91 or newer if u plan on doing any power upgrades besides u get the H.O with more power
rudeboyrob88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoreyXJ wrote:

Lifts are another story. I have the Rubicon Express 3.5" on mine with 31's and I like it fine. Its not big enough to suite me yet, but that will change soon. Heres what it looks like..

To make it bigger, will you be adding to your existing lift, or installing a new one. I have a 4" on mine right now, and just want to know if I can do more from there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: