Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tires on stock rims

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atc_tj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Tires on stock rims Reply with quote

I have stock 15x7 alloy rims on my 99 tj sport, I want to put 32x11.50 BFG MT. Will they fit. (putting on RE 3.5 lift).
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Most don't recommend running 11.50's on only 7" wide wheels though. You'll have to limit the steering up front to avoid rubbing at full turn which can be accomplished by adding washers to the steering stops and have to make sure you have adequate clearance in the rear with upper spring perches to avoid slicing the tires. If you do go this route, pay close attention to tire pressure to make sure the tires aren't wearing funny. Like I said, most people advise against it, but it is doable.
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this situation, the backspacing of the wheels will be more of a problem than the width of the tire compared to the wheel. About the maxium difference between the two widths is 4". 12.5" wide tire on 8" wide wheel. 11.5" wide tire on 7" wide wheel.

I noted the backspacing of the wheels being a bigger problem. The stock wheels are built with pretty high backspacing. I know the 15x8 alloys are 5.5" BS...I think the 15x7 alloys are 5" or 5.25" BS. At this backspacing, the chance of your tires rubbing suspension and chassis components is fairly high. Primarily, your concerns will be the upper spring perches in the rear and the lower control arms in the front. You can grind the spring perches and remove some metal providing more clearance. The steering stops can be adjusted with a washer or two. This will decrease the turning radius but the realworld outcome will be negligible.

Good luck.
atc_tj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like to much work. I will just scrape up the money to get some rockcrawler rims. 15x8 with 3.75" should work fine right?
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer and recommend alloys. The black steel wheels are cheap, heavy and have no quality. They're frequently out of round and hard to balance. Alloys have more quality control and are easier to work with. You could keep your wheels and get some wheel spacers...they cost about as much as black steel wheels.
atc_tj

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size spacer is needed so I wont rub. Any suggestion on who to get them from. Anyone out there happy with their black steel rims.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spidertrax 1.25"
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people are happy with 'em...I wasn't one of them though Mr. Green . I had them, hated them, and went back to a factory (8" however) wheel and spacer combo. Most arguements go along the lines of "I don't want to spend that kind of money for wheels that are gonna get chewed up" and "they're only $40 a piece". Ever wonder why they're only $40/wheel Wink ? If you're commited to spending the $250ish (til it's all said and done with shipping and what not) on the spacers, I'd recommend just putting that cash towards a decent set of wheels in a 15x8 size and just dump the 15x7 idea for the wider wheel. You can get something like the MT Classic II's or a similar wheel for about $90 a pop. Yah, it's more than the steel wheels, but to each their own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: