Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difficulty engaging 4wd

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Difficulty engaging 4wd Reply with quote

Hello all, I have a problem with my 1996 Cherokee.
Whenever i try to engage full time 4wd it will only go into part time 4wd.
If i brake hard a few times from about 20 miles per hour it goes in to full time 4wd.
I have to do the same when putting it back into 2wd as it again gets stuck in part time 4wd.
I have had the transfer selector lever adjusted correctly, this has made no difference.
I have read on several Jeep sites that the vacuum actuator is a well known Cherokee fault.
Can anyone help.
By the way my car is UK spec right hand drive.
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vacuum actuator is on the front axles of 91 and earlier XJ's. Since your is a 96 it should not have one.

OK, the shifter on the 242 goes 2HI-4PT-4FT-N-4L, which means you have to go through 4 part time to get to 4 full time. How's the fluid level? How many miles on it? Has it been operated in 4wd much? Are all your tires the same size? Does it shift into part time 4wd smoothly?

If the vehicle hasn't been used in 4wd much since new, sometimes the T-case needs breaking in. It can take a fairly firm hand to get it to shift through all the positions. Once it's worked in it will be smoother. Also, the 242's take a little time (driveshafts have to spin the same speed) for it to shift properly...try this:

Make sure all the tires are the same size, same air pressure, and drive it in a straight line on the street and shift from 2WD - PT4WD - FT4WD, then back. The front and rear driveshafts should be spinning at the same speed and it should shift in/out of each position easily. If it doesn't then maybe the problem is in the t-case. If it works fine then it is working normally for a 242.

Also remember, it the tires are different brands they are probably different sizes...even if they say otherwise. Tires from different manufacturers vary in actual size from the advertised size.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.
As if by magic I can get full time 4wd, part time 4wd, in fact any of them.

I took your advice and adopted the rolling selection. Though i find it goes in easier if i knock the transmission into N, select full time 4wd or whichever is required, then back into D. It engages and disengages the front axel instantly.

It all works fine.
My Cherokee has 52000 miles from new and has been driven in London all its life the poor thing so never off roaded.

Something which will soon be rectified.
Again thanks, you saved me hunting for a part i can't get for my car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: