Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Woods DS length

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Tom Woods DS length Reply with quote

Hey, I'm hoping Uncle Sam will purchase the AA SYE/TW DS for me. My question is, I know how to measure, and it's recommended to get the proper measurement to take out my tcase drop, but here's my issue.. In a few years, when it's time to ditch the 33s, I'll be upgrading my lift too (hopefully), will the custom DS now need the length changed? The confusing part is if I went with a DS from Tera or something, it'd be one length no matter the lift, etc.. Thanks for any and all help!
quadna71

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one, your best bet is to measure and order the driveshaft after the lift and sye are installed and settled...is a more accurate way of having a shaft custom built. two, you will need to get a new shaft once you relift it - unless you don't planning on flexing it much..the added height will equate to having it extended out further unless you put a new one one. three, tera sells an "all purpose" shaft...not custom set up for a specific jeep (ask 'drack - he has that shaft i think). i'd get one made for your jeep specifically...measure later and then order it. mine was 15 1/8" distance...the all purpose shaft wasn't quite that length. would it have mattered? maybe - all depends upon how critical you are with your jeep. me - i'm super critical so i wanted the one to fit my jeep so i ordered it direct from tom woods (bob supplee doesn't deal with them yet).
chris
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Chris. So, do folks with DS like the tera one order new ones? Or just lift and deal? What problems would I face going with one for my current lift (which has totally settled as much as possible!), then lifting say another inch without spending another freaking $200+? Or do I need to deal with the damn vibes and TCase drop until I have the lift on that I'm sticking with for a long while?

Thanks again!
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, will adding a 90lb. rear bumper/tire carrier cause issues if I get that after I measure for the DS? My lift has sagged all it's gonna sag from the current weight, but I guess an extra 90 lbs. will force it to go lower...
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe Tera shaft is telescoping and I guess that's how it adjusts to various heights. I started out with their 3" coils and that shaft and was fine. Upgraded to their 4" coils and am still fine. I belieive if I go to a flat skid (which will push the tcase futher up there), then I'd have to get a new shaft, At that point, I'd prolly be ordering something custom for my specific length. The Tera's been fine for me and I ended up with it because that's what they stocked in house when I needed the setup in a pinch (and there were also running a club group buy at the time). No experience with the TW shafts here, so I can't comment on the differences between the two Smile .
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
...[snip]... i ordered it direct from tom woods (bob supplee doesn't deal with them yet).
chris

Ahh...but DC4WD does. I think I paid $450 plus shipping for AA's SYE and a TW CV-shaft. I finally ordered the shaft about 3-4 months later and DC didn't have a problem. Just called in the length to DC and he placed the order with TW. It was shipped out in 2-3 days, and at my house, cross country from TW, in about a week total.

All driveshafts are "telescoping" drack. Silly rabit. Seriously though, they all have a slip joint of some type or another in order to handle the ups and downs of a cycling suspension. The stock TJ shaft, has the slip joint located on the yoke (hence the slip yoke eliminator). A SYE kit removes the slip yoke from the TC output shaft and relocates the slip joint to the middle of the shaft, therefore allowing the shaft to "telescope" as drack puts it.

I would feel safe with a shaft being able to handle +/- 1" of lift without any problems. More or less lift could cause the shaft bottom out or hit max extension and damage the shaft.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donzi has a Tom Woods shaft.. It looks crazy strong and holds up to his 360 ... It turns that big 14 bolt and 36's.. (Which are sitting on Hummer Bead locks..Very heavy..) and Never a problem..
Tons of flex and motion in the shaft..

IT is well worth the money.. In my opinion... When I need one thats what I am getting..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate all the help and quick replies on this.. I don't see going about a 4.5" long arm ever, but just don't want to limit myself before I hit the lottery Wink

Erik, how much did you pay to your door??
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black2001TJ wrote:
Erik, how much did you pay to your door??

I don't know exactly what the SYE/CV cost because I bought some other stuff at the same time.

I bought the SYE, CV shaft, upper and lower rear adjustable RE control arms, and the RE D44 bracket kit and it was $905 shipped. That was April 2003 though, so I don't remember exactly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: