Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for Heavy-Duty Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Looking for Heavy-Duty Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier Reply with quote

I looking for the heaviest duty rear bumper with tire carrier on the market. Does anyone have experience with these? I can't tell much from the pictures and descriptions on the web sites...

I put on the Warn bumper and tire carrier about a year ago. It had always bounced about a bit, and was never fully able to handle my spare, which is a 35" Krawler on a steel rim. On recent trail rides, it seems to have been breaking bolts, and nearly fell off yesterday. I'm not sure that simply bolting it back on is the best solution, so I'm looking for a better option.

I've seen the Jeeperman combo, which has the a huge hinge...I also heard good things about Durango 4X4's. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
BlueJ
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with my Jeeperman - I like that it comes with frame tie-ins. Of course, shortly after I bought mine, they upgraded a few features. http://jeephorizons.com/news/jeeperman_new.html
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will 2nd the Jeeperman...Ive had mine on a year or so and Love it

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd Mr. Green
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Jeeperman but I see too much flex from the entire unit. It's probably similar in motion to the problem you're having with the Warn. I have the frame reinforcement kit. I have all 8 bolts installed. It flexs the crossmember just enough that it moves when over bumps. I've been debating using larger washers to reinforce it more...but that'll have to wait until spring/summer.
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew,
have chris build you a crossmember over your tool box that holds your tire secure...it's not like you need to be looking over your shoulder anyways!!! Smile then you can get better COG along with no rattling. probably pretty cheap fix too. oh, just keep the bumper then and yank the carrier off of it. just one idea.
chris (likes his jeeperman too but sometimes agrees with erik about flexing)
BlueJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, I've been toying with that idea also. I will probably pull out the Tuffy in the spring to rip out the carpeting in the back, then coat the back with herculiner or something, then secure the Tuffy back into place. I like the rack over the back, though, and don't really want to replace it with my spare.

I'm surprised to hear about the flexing with the Jeeperman, I've been so jealous of yours. I think they sell a thingie to tie it to the tailgate, but it would mean unscrewing a wing nut everytime I open the tailgate to get to the Tuffy. The hinge on the Jeeperman is the biggest I've seen, much bigger than the Warn (which is a struggle to open, even when the bumper isn't falling off) -- your Jeeperman carrier swings open so nicely.

Decisions decisions...

Rolling Eyes
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at BulletProof bumpers lately...I've yet to read a bad comment about them. I've also been looking at body armor bumpers, but they seem to be new comers, not any reviews of their product out yet...as it stands I'll be getting BulletProof, but that seems to change every other month or so...lol.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Bulletproof still in buisness? Last thing I heard about had there website shutdown, phones disconected, and paid orders not shipping. Something about the owner having all kinds of health related issues. This all back @ a year ago.

I just looked and there site is back up, so maybe they are back on track now.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
Is Bulletproof still in buisness? Last thing I heard about had there website shutdown, phones disconected, and paid orders not shipping. Something about the owner having all kinds of health related issues. This all back @ a year ago.

I just looked and there site is back up, so maybe they are back on track now.

Yah, I think so. I did notice a "under new management" picture on their website awhile back. It's just kinda hard to ignore a manufactor that claims, "You break it, we bought it".

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they were having trouble. Here's the press release, but it's from July.
Jasper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still shopping around myself. Check out Hanson Enterprises. I have one of his front bumpers and I like it... bolted up perfect with no problems. I'm also looking at Currie's. I read somewhere that Wayne Hanson was associated with the Currie's when the original Currie bumpers were designed. They are not identical but close enough to compliment each other. A bit pricey... but not a whole lot more than the square tube stuff that everyone else is putting together... and better looking too.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any bumper/tire carrier will solve the flexing of the crossmember. However, one that has an upper mount that ties into the body should be better....like Hanson's unit. Hanson's has a $700+ price tag though.

I've been debating some options for this summer. One is to add larger washers to the crossmember mounts using the Jeeperman bumper/carrier. Or reinforce the crossmember on the backside. Or remove the Jeeperman all together, put the spare in the tub, with a rack over the top to hold my gear.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure and get the support brakets from jeeperman.. that should help the flexing crossmember.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
quadna71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueJ wrote:
think they sell a thingie to tie it to the tailgate, but it would mean unscrewing a wing nut everytime I open the tailgate to get to the Tuffy. The hinge on the Jeeperman is the biggest I've seen, much bigger than the Warn (which is a struggle to open, even when the bumper isn't falling off) -- your Jeeperman carrier swings open so nicely.

andrew,
i saw that link you posted to the threaded stud over on deja - then i checked out the jeeperman on my jeep. nope - just won't work. the top of the jeeperman carrier is shaped differently than the picture of the carrier in the picture - no vertical bar to be bolted too. so, back to the drawing board. but! - do your warn have that bar? if so, pull it off, rebolt it, and install that bar as well. oh, and maybe put new bearings in the carrier's pivot point just for good measure. they may be a big part of the culprit Smile
chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: