Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keep the Sport, or get a Rubi???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chachy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Keep the Sport, or get a Rubi??? Reply with quote

I have an 03 sport, my 1st Jeep. I love it, but sometimes kick myself in the ass for not getting the rubi. I have not wheeled too much lately because of work, but will be getting more time offroad soon. I am trying to measure the pros and cons and would like some help.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Jeeps everything is a depends?
Depends on what reart axle the sport has?
With the Rubi all you are really getting that matters is the front and rear Dana 44, and lockers. You've got the same engine.
Oh I forgot the warrenty.
I would just dump the money into my jeep now instead of worrying about selling the current one and getting a rubi, you can make that 03 out wheel the rubi

My Morning Jacket
chachy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much have every option except cruise control. I have the 44rear, 4W disk brakes, etc.
The things I was questioning is when would I need a 44 in the front, and does the 4-1 t case make you weaker in other evironments like sand, snow, mud?
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get hosed trading an 03 Sport for a Rubicon. You're better off building what you've got.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
You will get hosed trading an 03 Sport for a Rubicon. You're better off building what you've got.

Kinda what I was thinking - as soon as you drive off the lot, the value takes a dump. Confused
chachy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Thats what I was thinkin Reply with quote

I figured that I don't need the 44 in the front, and I've heard that the 30HD is just as strong. I also am able to pick and choose this way. The only thing that I wish I would have done was got the soft top with half doors.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, you'll like the full doors, having to replace the damn zip up windows every 3 years sucks.

My Morning Jacket
chachy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Right on Reply with quote

Yeah, my wife keeps tellin me that too. The cool thing about it is I can always just take em off for the day!
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Jeeps don't have doors. flipoff agree
chachy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Doors? Reply with quote

then why does the picture of yours have them on? Very Happy
SHNIPE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with above, keep it, mod it, better in the end....

OT youre supposed to replace the zipper windows???? Maybe thats why I cant see out of em... oh well my half doors are usually off till the gf complains its gettin too cold.
alexman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: i have a rubicon and i am a tech Reply with quote

if you are serious about off orading and you are buying than of course a rubicon will save you a little money but once you have a tj sport you will loose more money to trade it in. There just isn't enough difference. If you already have a dana 44 rear you have cut alot of the costs. The 4/1 transfer case is only good for slow climbing like rock climbing or climbing over a large fallen treee. For 90% of all off-roading i have done i have had no use for a 4/1 transfer case and the lockers are only good for rock climbing as well. The point of them is so that if you are moving from rock to rock and 2 of your wheels are off the ground the other 2 will haev traction. The only reason for a front dana 44 is to handle having onyl one wheel up front pulling the whole vehicle. Again this is not something that happens often as i don't rock climb alot. I suggest that you build what you have. The dana 44 up front is a hybrid anyway, it uses alot more dana 30 parts than you think. Everything else is essentially the same. Keep your jeep or if you really want a rubi come and buy mine i want an unlimited. 2 weeks after i bought mine i found out i am having a baby. I need space. Lucky for you you can get lockers and rock sliders. I am having alot more trouble trying to find trunk space
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: