Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ready to start mods....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepTJKID

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Ready to start mods.... Reply with quote

Hey, Im giving all you jeep tj owners out there a chance to help me spend my money. Here is wat im looking for my jeep to do.

1. I want to be able to do some off-roading in somewhat rough terrain, mud, and small creeks/puddles.
2. I need it to be a good daily driver but not restrict me from taken her off the highway.
3. Low on money so priorities first.

Its a 97 Jeep TJ, I-4 all stock. Tires are goodyear wrangler something...im sorry but im not to sure.

Thnks..... Very Happy
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In no particular order...

-recovery gear:straps, tow hooks, tool kit, jack,etc. Real cheap stuff that's often overlooked but a necessity on the trail

-skids: get whatever ya can afford. There's a coupla threads in this section discussing different skids and what ya might wanna look at protecting first.

-tires: look into a decent set of AT or MT's in a 30 or 31" variety. This'll keep expenses to a minimum as you'll be able to fit them without any suspension modifications and reuse the factory wheels. Not much noticeable power loss either from moving up to that size.

Play with that stuff for awhile and see what else you might be needing. If you find that you've got adequate clearance but lack traction, a cheap carrier replacement locker can go a long way for less than $300. Otherwise, that should get ya started Smile .
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
In no particular order...

-recovery gear:straps, tow hooks, tool kit, jack,etc. Real cheap stuff that's often overlooked but a necessity on the trail

-skids: get whatever ya can afford. There's a coupla threads in this section discussing different skids and what ya might wanna look at protecting first.

-tires: look into a decent set of AT or MT's in a 30 or 31" variety. This'll keep expenses to a minimum as you'll be able to fit them without any suspension modifications and reuse the factory wheels. Not much noticeable power loss either from moving up to that size.

Play with that stuff for awhile and see what else you might be needing. If you find that you've got adequate clearance but lack traction, a cheap carrier replacement locker can go a long way for less than $300. Otherwise, that should get ya started Smile .

Yea...what he said. Get some basic stuff recovery first. It's money well spent. On the tires, that is one of the first things I did with my TJ. It can make all the difference in the world.

I'd also recommend getting together with some more experienced off roaders so you can get to know your TJ before you start doing a bunch of stuff. You might be surprised at how it does with just a simple set of decent tires. From there you can investigate more on future upgrades, lifts, lockers, and the like.

Enjoy Wink
JeepTJKID

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnks for all the great information you have given me.

I have taken my jeep out stock and have noticed ive run into some problem with clearance. This is why i have been looking for a lift. Ive been looking at the rubicon express 3.5 standard lift because i fits my budget and is upgradable. But i probably wont get a lift till this summer when the funds are coming in through my job.

Now about tires...I dont want to buy a set of tires twice because of the lift kit. But maybe the ones u suggested wont look that silly on the jeep with the lifted suspension..you tell me.

For recovery sorts..ive been looking at maybe a winch. Im not sure if i will get a winch because it might be money wasted due to the fact im prolly not going to be going off roading every weekend.

For the skid plates im going to get a warn steering box plate due to the fact it looks very vonerable up front.

Also i am looking for a bigger better looking bumper then the stock one. I dont want to get nething that is made for rock crawling or is totally huge. I just want something beefier that will protect the front end and will provide areas to put lights and maybe a winch.

Thnks in advance and thnks aagain.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeepTJKID wrote:
Thnks for all the great information you have given me.

I have taken my jeep out stock and have noticed ive run into some problem with clearance. This is why i have been looking for a lift. Ive been looking at the rubicon express 3.5 standard lift because i fits my budget and is upgradable. But i probably wont get a lift till this summer when the funds are coming in through my job.

Now about tires...I dont want to buy a set of tires twice because of the lift kit. But maybe the ones u suggested wont look that silly on the jeep with the lifted suspension..you tell me.

For recovery sorts..ive been looking at maybe a winch. Im not sure if i will get a winch because it might be money wasted due to the fact im prolly not going to be going off roading every weekend.

For the skid plates im going to get a warn steering box plate due to the fact it looks very vonerable up front.

Also i am looking for a bigger better looking bumper then the stock one. I dont want to get nething that is made for rock crawling or is totally huge. I just want something beefier that will protect the front end and will provide areas to put lights and maybe a winch.

Thnks in advance and thnks aagain.

Yep...I understand. I installed a 2" Rubicon Express Budget Boost kit in my TJ. I currently have 31x10.5's on there, but could probably run 32's with backspaced wheels and still be okay. My TJ is an '02 with 30k miles and the front and rear springs have little to no sag in them...yet. The REBB runs around $200.

With a stocker, you'll likely rub with 32's or bigger. As far as bumpers go, there are many very good ones out there. I bought the Warrior Products bumper w/ brush guard. It's okay, and not overly radical. In hind sight though, I would have probably been better off with the Garvin Industries (Wilderness), or a Warn, or something like that. Just do a internet search and you'll get tons of hits. There are also several manufacturers of the stearing box armor. Warn being one of them.

Winches....well, I bought one. Not everyone does, though. A hi-lift jack and hookless straps are a recommended set of items, though. There are tons of write ups and threads talking about these things...so do a search on the site here and do some readin'. Lots of very good experience here, and hope you learn as much as I have.

Good luck.
Wink
JeepTJKID

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks for the good advice. Does anyone have pics of there lifted rigs with lifts from 2-3.5". I want my jeep to have a higher ride but im only going to 3.5 inches or less of lift.

Also do any of u suggest any tires to work with a lift from 2-3.5 inches of lift. I want them to be good but not outragously priced....I would prefer goodyear but dont know which type of tire. Also i would prolly have to get new wheele then right? Any good cheep ones?
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeepTJKID wrote:
Yeah thanks for the good advice. Does anyone have pics of there lifted rigs with lifts from 2-3.5". I want my jeep to have a higher ride but im only going to 3.5 inches or less of lift.

Also do any of u suggest any tires to work with a lift from 2-3.5 inches of lift. I want them to be good but not outragously priced....I would prefer goodyear but dont know which type of tire. Also i would prolly have to get new wheele then right? Any good cheep ones?

First off, this RE-BB was nothing more than a temporary for me. They are inexpensive and easy to install. But if you are thinking permanent 2", then I hear the Old Man Emu is the best.

Here is a before shot RE-BB

and after shot...before I got my winch on anyway.

I'm running Les Schwab Wild Cats 31x10.5's. They are okay...not the most expensive, either. But I'm not sure you'll find cheaper tires promoted in the off road world anyway. What kind of wheeling are you planning on? That will probably determine more of what to get than anything. We have lots of mud here in the NW, and plenty of rocks south and east of us. So these have worked out okay for me. But BF Goodrich has some decent flavors and at fairly reasonable prices, too.

Wink
JeepTJKID

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a nice lookin jeep of yours. I think i might go with the 2 inch lift or if i get enoug money a 3 or 3.5 inch lift. Thnks for all the info and do you know of any sites that i can find a bigger engine for my jeep
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try salvage yards first thumbs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JeepTJKID

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ill go wit the salvage yard but when i go to the yard and find the engine do i have to take the engine out right there or what do you do or how does it work.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get an engine, but I did get tow hooks Mr. Green

I took them off, carried them inside and paid for them....not sure you can do that with an engine rofl

Most salvage yards don't allow you to drive back into the rows of vehicles, so they'd probably help you to pull it out, etc.

I think this is common sense, but make sure when you find an engine, that the body was hit in the rear Wink

HTH,
Stevo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JeepTJKID

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrite..after thinking it over the last two days i think im going to stay with my 4 banger. I think ill get a new engine later down the road like when im out of highschool and college.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeepTJKID wrote:
Alrite..after thinking it over the last two days i think im going to stay with my 4 banger. I think ill get a new engine later down the road like when im out of highschool and college.

Lots of people do very well with their 4 cylinder. I've seen plenty of them mod them pretty well, too.
Wink
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just regear the 4 banger...it revs quik and if you regear you should be fine
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: