Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XJ bumpers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudeboyrob88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: XJ bumpers Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I am thinking about getting new bumpers for my '01 Xj. I have looked at Warn, and ARB. Just want some of your opinions on which to go with. Pro's / Con's. whatever input you may have to offer.
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you want extra, winch, spare tire carrier, etc?? Think a head of future wants, or add ons. Four Real really makes nice bumpers, so does Warn.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. What you want it for will dictate what your options are. Do you want towhooks, shackles or both? Do you want a hitch receiver built in? How much weight are you willing to hang off the front & back ends? For the front, do you want a winch mount or not? For the rear, do you want a tire carrier? These are just some of things you need to consider when you choose them.

As for me I have the Four Real winch mount front bumper. I love it.

Before the winch:

After the winch:

It has four mount points for offroad lights, is relatively light and has provisions for tow hooks. It does not however have mounts for shackles. So that's something to keep in mind.

You could also look at some of the smaller fabricators. A lot of times they will build something custom that addresses your specific needs...as opposed to getting something that's more mass produced.

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rudeboyrob88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that Four Real bumper does look nice. I do want something that is lightweight, and the possibility for a winch in the future is nice also. I really like the look of that Bumper. Definately want the tire carrier in the rear. Where are the tow hook provisions? I would guess right on the bottom, and kind of off to the sides? Can you just hook up to the bumper if you need a tow? Also, are the Warn ones heavier? Thank you for the responses.
rudeboyrob88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any input / experience with Bulletproof bumpers? They look nice too.
MachineMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered my front winch bumber from Rigid. Its only $420 and comes with mount kit which also doubles as a steering box brace.

They have some newer ones but haven't updated the web site yet..
http://www.rigidco.com/
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudeboyrob88 wrote:
Thanks, that Four Real bumper does look nice. I do want something that is lightweight, and the possibility for a winch in the future is nice also. I really like the look of that Bumper. Definately want the tire carrier in the rear. Where are the tow hook provisions? I would guess right on the bottom, and kind of off to the sides? Can you just hook up to the bumper if you need a tow? Also, are the Warn ones heavier? Thank you for the responses.

I don't have a good pic of where I have the tow hooks mounted. I'll get one over the weekend and post it up. You could just strap to the bumper, but since adding a tow hook to it is as easy as two bolts...why not just do that? Wink

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
atc_tj

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some rear bumpers too. With a reciver, shackle mounts would be nice but not necasary.
xj95

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
Yup. What you want it for will dictate what your options are. Do you want towhooks, shackles or both? Do you want a hitch receiver built in? How much weight are you willing to hang off the front & back ends? For the front, do you want a winch mount or not? For the rear, do you want a tire carrier? These are just some of things you need to consider when you choose them.

As for me I have the Four Real winch mount front bumper. I love it.

Before the winch:

After the winch:

It has four mount points for offroad lights, is relatively light and has provisions for tow hooks. It does not however have mounts for shackles. So that's something to keep in mind.

You could also look at some of the smaller fabricators. A lot of times they will build something custom that addresses your specific needs...as opposed to getting something that's more mass produced.

HTH

Steve

Hi

Having a winch that sit's so hi in front blocking the grill like your's does it affect engine temperature at hi or low speed
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hasn't affected cooling at all. The winch actually has a low profile and lets air pass through it. 75% of the grill is still exposed to open air and the fans sit off the the left and right of the radiator anyway.

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: