Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dealer Installed Suspension Lift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleaver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Dealer Installed Suspension Lift Reply with quote

So I recently bought a 03 wrangler and am looking to get it lifted. The dealer offers a decent 3" teraflex lift but wants $2500 for the kit and the install. The only reason I am considering doing this is because they will honor my warranty if i go through them instead of a local off road store.

The local off road guys say that whatever the dealership won't cover, they will.

Does anyone know the specifics behind getting a suspension lift and how that affects the warranty. HELP!
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$2500 seems a little...er.. a lot steep to me!! Sheeesh...

Is that only for the lift and a warranty? Nothing else?

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
cleaver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is exactly what i thought about it being ridiculously expensive. If i can get it done outside of the dealer and still retain the warranty I'll do it.
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think paying $2500 for a lift is acceptable - warranty or not. Thats just why they are called "stealerships" instead of dealerships. I would just go to the best 4WD shop in town and deal with them. If your airbag light comes on in 6 months and you take it in and they tell you that they aren't going to warranty it - then I would call the BBB, the president, the FBI, and anyone else who will listen. Thats just plain crap.

Good luck with it - CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
cleaver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DITO
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you live? At least help out a fellow Jeeper if you're going to spend $2500 on a 3" lift. You realize that the Tera 3T goes for about $500-600 in parts. That's $2000 for installation of a simple lift kit that doesn't have control arms.

Unless you have the dealer put their statement in writing and sign it, that warranty work won't be affected, don't trust them. They can deny your claim if they can show that a modification you made to the vehicle could have caused the malfunction.
cleaver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This price was quoted to me from Airpark chrysler jeep in scottsdale/phoenix arizona. This was for a a lift with new control arms as well as disconnects front and rear, but I still can't justify the costs.

When I tried to nail him down on whether the warranty would be voided if I got the work done else where and he gave me a weak answer. I am going to go to a different jeep dealership tomorrow and see if I can get some answers or at least a decent one.

pissed
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your warranty can not be voided. A dealership can deny claims based on modifications you made to the vehicle if they can show that the modification may have caused the problem. Research the Magnusson-Moss Act.

You also don't want rear disconnects. Just get yourself longer rear swaybar links.

Tera's control arms aren't the greatest thing out there either. Currie and RE's Superflex are 2 brands of short arms I would recommend.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a straight rip-off. I'd go somewhere else before I dropped another dime there. Confused
SNOFRK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell the Lifts you are talking about. Depending on if you are getting the t or s3t you are talking a street price of $600 - $950 bucks. Instalation should take about 5 hours of shop time or less. Say and high price of $100 bucks per hour. You still looking at $1500 MAX.

Also going to the Dealer sounds like a good idea at first. What do they do all day? Work on mostly stock rigs. What does a 4 Wheel shop do? They work on making non stock rigs.
There are a few tweaks that need to happen and things to look out for that a normal shop guy wont be thinking of.

The Tera 3 is a good lift I did quite a few trails including the Rubicon with it. Then my jeep got quite heavy with a winch and lots of other toys so I need stronger springs and I upgraded to the 4" Tera. However it rides a lot stiffer. I would love to go back to that lift.

Stay away from 4 Wheel Parts they are to general. In fact just find a local Jeep guy who can do it. My buddy and I do it in his driveway all the time. We charge $300 $400 bucks for the install.
Changing the LCA or lower control arms only adds about 30 min to the job if you have Air tools.

What size tires are you going to run? Do you have an sye? What is your gear ratio's?

The reason I ask it sounds like you are ready to spend the cash. Depending on the what you need you can do a lot with $2500. Heck most people who do most trails and really go crazy spend about 5 - 7 K...

Good luck and tell us more about what your plans are.
cleaver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it turns out I can't get anyone from the dealership to call me back about what I need to know. HOwever I work part time for a radio station here, and coincidentally I will be working a promotional event tomorrow at the same dealership I bought my jeep from. I'll be damned if I leave there tomorrow without any answers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: