Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exhaust smoke - please HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcanter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Exhaust smoke - please HELP Reply with quote

I have a 94 grand cherokee se that has recently begun smoking from the tailpipe- grayish smoke that smells a bit of oil. It has a little over 200K miles, and I realize that the engine MAY need to be replaced to alleviate this problem.

But I really need to know what else is POSSIBLY causing this, as it began quite suddenly after taking a friends advice and running some mineral spirits through the motor to "clean" it. The last two mechanics I have taken it to just take one look at the mileage and say something like "must be worn rings with that many miles", but neither took the time to actually diagnose it and make sure something more minor wasn't to blame. They just want to yank the engine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Seth
Brad S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

head gasket? i dont know how common they are on jeeps, but i just got done replacing them on a ford tarus (going to sell it tomarrow!! woopie!) anyways yea, if the smoke is kinda white/gray, it could mean a blown head gasket, with 200k miles, it could be something else, but engines can last that long and longer if their treated right.. hope you get it figured out!
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the compression?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it smells like oil then...well...oil is getting into at least one of the cylinders and it's either rings or valve seals. It could be a head gasket, but usually the symptom of a bad head gasket is antifreeze in the cylinders...not oil.. A compression check will tell you if the rings are good or not. If they are, then either a new head gasket (plural it it's a V8 ) and/or new valve seals will most likely fix the problem.

If the compression check flunks on one or more cylinders...it's a full teardown...or engine replacement.

HTH

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure its not gas you smell...

Try changing your air filter and disconnecting your battery for about 20 mins..

Then start her up and see if the smoke is gone...

Mine smokes when the air filter is dirty.. IT looks grey to me but it leaves black soot in the pipe and on my tailgate.. Thats how I know its fuel ...

Head gaskets are easy to change if it comes down to it.. Cool

Get a chiltons and do it yourself...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tcanter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I own a rare kit car and when I post a question on that forum it takes weeks for just one reply.

I seem to have read the air filter possibility somewhere else before. I think I'll try that first, as I can't be positive that it's not gas that I'm smelling.

If that doesn't stop it, then it looks like the compression test is the next option.

Incidentally, I ran into something called "smokeless oil" in my research on the net. I was skeptical at first, but enough sites are out there that mention it to confirm that it exists. It's an ultrapure synthetic and smoke-free based on the No Hydrocarbons/other flammable impurites= No smoke possible, even though it won't stop the loss of oil. Just the visual sign of it's being burned.

If it's not the air filter and I am facing a teardown to solve the problem, I will most likely try this product. The engine still runs great, good power, so I really don't want to pay for a rebuild. Has anyone out there had any experience w/ one of these "smoke-free" oils? The one I found was FHS Smoke-Free Oil. Also there was an Entek brand I believe. It's pretty expensive- $11/quart, and sells by the 10 quart case.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and my father worked on an Xj that smoked...it was the head gasket replaced and it was like using a bottle of smoke be gone except our way worked Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: