Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Axles?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Axles? Reply with quote

I have a 91 XJ and I would like to swop in some new axles. I would like some D44 or at least something better than what I have right now. I am not looking to buy new ones, just looking for some that I can take out of some other kind of vehicle and bolt into mine. If posible I don't want to do cutting or welding, but will if I have to. What are my choices?
Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJ's had D44's in the rear on some 87 to 89's. You can also swap an 8.8 Explorer rear axle in. As for the front, the only axle I know they used was a D30 so anything you swap in will require fab work.
90 K5, tbi350/th400/241/SYE/3" Tuff Country/D60 Powerlock/14ff Detroit/4:10's/Crossover Steering/Hydro Assist/37" MTR's

87 Burb, tbi454. Drinks gas and hauls ass.

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the rear, the only bolt-in option you have is a D44 from the early XJs. They're somewhat difficult to find, but shouldn't be that hard. They usually go for about $300, not built up. While the differential and all the other parts are the same as what's in the TJ D44s, it's a better housing b/c the tubes are thicker....i.e. stronger. Also, you can upgrade to disc brakes using the parts from a newer TJ. There is a lot of market support for the D44s. You shouldn't have any issues building it up.

For a bit of cutting and welding, you could get an 8.8 under the rear. The setup is much simpler on a leaf sprung vehicle as you really only have the spring perches to setup...no control arm brackets and whatnot like on a TJ. The nice part about an 8.8 is you can get them from the salvage yard with 4.10 gears. I don't know what you intend to run, but if it's 4.10s, this will save you some cash vs. having to do the regear.

For the front, I would stick with what you've got but make some upgrades to it. You have a high pinion D30 (HP30) under the front right now. This is actually a good axle, up through 35" tires. There's people using them on 37s, but it's faults really start to appear when you get that big and most jump up to a D44 front or bigger.

The upgrades that I mentioned above would primarily be upgrading to the one-piece shafts with 297/760 u-joints like what comes in the TJs now. Right now, you've got 260 u-joints. They're smaller and not as strong as the 297/760s. In addition, you have a two-piece passenger side inner shaft. When in 2wd, the two pieces are not locked together. When you shift into 4wd, a locking collar in the passenger side axle tube, locks the two pieces together. It's not a bad idea, but the system has it's problems, primarily leaking shift mechanism that doesn't work real great. With the one-piece shafts, you remove this faulty mechanism. You'll also need to add an inner oil seal on the passenger side of the differential.

Another way to get the upgraded shafts and maintain the HP30 housing, is to get a front axle from a 95-99 XJ. This'll have the one-piece shafts with upgraded u-joints. Just swap the whole thing in.

One more thing, make sure that whatever axles you're swapping in have the same gear sets, unless you plan on regearing them to match.
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great thanks for the info. I was wanting to get a D44 in the rear, so what year XJ's would I be looking for to snag one? Were they only in the 87-89? And what is the differnce between the D44 and the 8.8. And when you said 8.8 Explorer does that mean that you get it from a Ford Explorer? Or is that just the name of it and if so, were would I find one? I was wanting to put lockers in both axles after. I have seen a lot for D44 and D30, but not for 8.8's, are there some out there? And also what does High Pinion D30 (HP30) mean and how is it better than others?--Thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan_Ouimet wrote:
Sounds great thanks for the info. I was wanting to get a D44 in the rear, so what year XJ's would I be looking for to snag one? Were they only in the 87-89? And what is the differnce between the D44 and the 8.8. And when you said 8.8 Explorer does that mean that you get it from a Ford Explorer? Or is that just the name of it and if so, were would I find one? I was wanting to put lockers in both axles after. I have seen a lot for D44 and D30, but not for 8.8's, are there some out there? And also what does High Pinion D30 (HP30) mean and how is it better than others?--Thanks

The XJ D44s were only in 87-89....limited availability...that's why they're somewhat hard to find but they're out there.

The 8.8 is a bit stronger than a D44 but the pumpking is also significantly bigger. I have one in my TJ and am always getting caught on it offroad...but I wouldn't trade it for anything else as I know it's stout. The 8.8 you'd be looking for if you go that route is from an Explorer. It's something like 95-01. Before that, they have drum brakes. After that, they went to an independent rear. Bonus upgrade is you get disc brakes virtually for free.

The benefits of the high pinion are greater clearance underneath as the pinion yoke on the axle is physically higher. In the HP30 application, it's also a bit stronger (estimates of 30%) b/c you use the drive side of the ring gear vs. the coast side in a low pinion D30.
sktr7025

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when gearing an 8.8......can u get 4.88 gears in them? ive heard that u can only fit 4.10 in there. is there any truth to that?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much what ehirner said. The D44's are out there. Check around on the boards. I found mine after on JU after about a week of looking.

It is a direct bolt in. The only issue you might run into will be with the driveshaft. if you've got a D35 and are swapping in a D44, a shorter driveshaft will be needed (the D35 pinion is about an inch shorter). If you've got a 8.25 axle you're set...the driveshaft will bolt right on to the D44.

You'll need new u-bolts anyway but make sure to get ones that are 2.75" between the posts for the D44. Neither the D35 (2 5/8") or 8.25 (3") u-bolts will fit properly...so also be sure you get the D44 nut plates with the axle...or you can do what I did and pick up a set of DPG Offoad Rear Bumpstop Plates.

Not only will they fit the D44, but they will let you run stonger 9/16" ubolts (stock is 1/2").

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: