Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARB Compressor for airing up?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: ARB Compressor for airing up? Reply with quote

When I get the money, I'm going to lock the rear. I'm looking at the ARB for the ability to select between being locked and open. My question is, Qtec sells the Air Compressor, and for $36.95, I can get the "Tire Inflation Kit."

I've heard that it's not very efficient for airing up. I don't mind if it takes a few minutes a tire....speed isn't a factor.

I'm just wondering if this is a wise investment? Confused

Or if you have any other opinions for an air compressor, I'm very open to ideas right now, lol.

Last edited by Stevo02TJ on Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not a wise investment to buy the ARB compressor to air up. You'll be there forever. It doesn't pump a large volume of air, but rather high pressure. You need volume to fill tires quickly.

Get yourself a CO2 cylinder and regulator for a cheap, economical, low tech OBA system.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, thanks Smile ....I really like the ARB lockers....for reasons that I posted earlier, but I think it would be pointless to buy two air compressors....(I've never really liked the CO2 tanks, I'd be willing to pay a little extra for something that I don't have to take to a store or something to refill.)

Could I buy one of those Viair Compressors and a Fitting for an air locker? ???

The Viair 450C has:
  • Max. working pressure of 150 PSI
  • Oil-less operation
  • air filter cartridge
  • 23 amp/12 volt motor
  • 100% Duty Cycle

Would this be sufficient to run an air locker? (I don't know much about air compressors and the ARB compressor doesn't list any PSI rating, etc....or I'd compare them and not be asking on this board for help) Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be fine for the air locker. How many CFM does it produce? That's the volume.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm....had to Google it.... rofl rofl rofl

(I know to Google before asking ehirner Finger )

But the CFM is 0.94 @ 100 PSI (another site said 1.66 Confused....I'm guessing that means at max. pressure then?)

They say it's good for airing a 35" tire from 15-30 PSI in less than 3 minutes, but is this sufficient for a locker?
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look above at my response. Those compressors will be fine for an air locker. The ARBs typically run at around 90psi, IIRC and require a minimum of 40psi to engage, again IIRC. Air lockers do not require a high volume of air to operate. You could likely run an air locker off one of those cheapass $20 automotive compressors from Walmart.

For filling tires, you're going to be waiting for awhile with that Vivair unit if those cfm specs are correct. This unit pushes 4cfm. I seem to remember a price tag around $500. A York-based systemm, like shown here is capable of pushing nearly 10cfm. These setups are even pricier....averaging about $700 or more for all new parts. You would be better off with one of the QuickAir units that push around 2cfm and run about $250.[/url]
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, awesome....thanks for the help Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: