Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

when it rains it pours

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: when it rains it pours Reply with quote

While driving back to Virginia from upstate NY through a tropical storm strange things started to happen. I have a 94 ZJ 5.2L with a rusty's air tube, and an AEM throttle body spacer. During the last 100 miles of the trip my seat belt light came on, with the seat belt still in. Then 50 miles later the check engine light came on. For about the last 15 miles the door tone came on and off and did some weird things. I was playing my sound system but my amp meter didn't register any real drain or stress. Now the "dinger" stays on regardless of whether the car is on or off, or the door is open with the key in, or whatever. It just stays on and I'm about to drive the jeep off a cliff. Then a pulled the fuse and it went off. That was only a temp. fix. No my remote lock won't work so I have to unlock the door with a key and that sets the car alarms off. Someone please at least point me in the right direction to solve this problem.

thanks.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grands are always haveing electrical problems.. Most of them originate in the drivers door harness... But yours sounds like its somewhere else.. It could be the little plunger thing that shows the door is closed.. But that is just a guess..

As far as seat belt and other things ... Your battery ground may be bad and not allowing the full charge to get into the battery.. The alt gauge would read good even as the battery was being drained...

That also is a guess.. But check your ground cable ..If it has a swollen looking spot it is coroded and broken there...

That is another pretty common problem..

Good luck.

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas. Both battery terminals do look like hell because it looks like at some point in the past the terminals were corroded solid on an old battery because they have all sorts of gashes and teeth marks like someone took a channel lock on it to get it off.

As far as the plunger goes the dome lights go off when I close the door so I don't think thatís it. I didn't even think about that until you mentioned it though. I see a small red box underneath the bottom part of the dash board on the extreme left side where there are a lot of wires and electronics, I assume that this area is the drivers door harness you were talking about. I haven't gotten the time to test it yet but I think it is the speaker where the tone comes from. I think for know I might just detach the wires going to it and I should be ok. I think as long as everything looks fine, as all of the lights that came on went off when I restarted the car, I might just leave it.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The harness I am talking about it actually in the door jamb.. Pull that rubber boot back and look at all the wires in there...

It is common because of all the opening and closing for wires to break..

I dont know if that is all of your problem but it may very well be some..

OH and yes that red box should be the door buzzer thingy.. Mr. Green

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
viper24242

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update I pulled the speaker, and with it out my keyless locks would only unlock, I guess one of the ten or so wires running into the speaker had something to do with it. So I got curious and opened up the speaker box. I found a circuit board and pulled it out. I then took out the metal peace that runs along the top on the circuit board (actually it just fell off) and then pulled the diaphragm out of the speaker, its just held on by a couple of weak plastic kits. I then plugged it back in, no sound, and everything works perfectly. I just hope I don't accidentally leave my lights on now.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl rofl If all else fails Disassemble... rofl

quadna71

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viper24242 wrote:
Both battery terminals do look like hell because it looks like at some point in the past the terminals were corroded solid on an old battery because they have all sorts of gashes and teeth marks like someone took a channel lock on it to get it off.

on a side note - those marks are just from people either jumpstarting it or giving jumpstarts on a regular basis.
now back to your regularly scheduled program Mr. Green
chris
viper24242

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.
I was taught that the jumping vehicle should have jumper cables to both terminals and the vehicle getting jumped should have a cable on the positive terminal and negative cable hooked to the frame as a ground. I guess, unless they were doing it wrong, they were jump starting a lot of other cars.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR they where getting jumped all the time..

Does the battery look new??? Maybe they had a crap battery and where having trouble keeping it alive..

Or maybe a new alternator..

Or maybe they had a Taurus as a second car and had to follow it around jumping it off ... rofl

viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery looks new and I have never had a problem with it for the 7 months I have had it. The alternator dosen't look like its new. At least it dosen't now since I have gotten a little mud on the engine.

Swampy, I am sensing a little hate of the taurus from you.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Taurus came with a very nice electric fan...

I think thats the only good part on it...Except maybe the Cigerette lighter... rofl rofl rofl

viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I saw your write up on the tech page and am thinking about making that mod.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
martini_thief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its an old post but some people use the search function...

I have the same rainy day problems and found it to be the chime mod. [under the dash its the pinkish red box on the drivers side] getting wet from a drivers side grommet/gasket/who-knows-what from around the door. The water was shorting it out. I went to replace it but the stealership wanted $175 for a new chime mod. so I just took it apart and cleaned it with WD-40. I plugged it back in and sealed up all the possible water entry points in the door... problem went away and I never had it happen again
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: